Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting rules

Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 PM

Default hunting rules

hi,i was having an conversation with guys from work.About how many bullets your allowed in your rifle while hunting.in saskatchewan.
i thought your only allowed 4.but some people say different.anybody know the facts where i can find this law.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Spike

Default RE: hunting rules

Not sure about the saskatchewan provincial hunting regulations, but the CanadianFederal firearms laws state you cant have a semi-auto rifle with greater then5 in the mag (except M1 Garands). Any other action rifle doesnt matter, you can have as big a mag as you want.
This applies to non-restricted firearms (as you can't hunt with restricted/prohibited guns) Here is an excerpt from the Canadian Firearms Centre

Q. What is the maximum number of cartridges that a firearm magazine can legally hold?
As set out in Criminal Code Regulations, some large-capacity magazines are prohibited regardless of the class of firearm to which the magazines are attached. As a general rule, the maximum magazine capacity is:
[ul][*]5 cartridges for most magazines designed for a semi-automatic centre-fire long gun; or[*]10 cartridges for most handgun magazines [/ul]

A large-capacity magazine is not prohibited if it has been permanently altered so that it cannot hold more than the number of cartridges allowed by law. Acceptable ways to alter a magazine are set out in the regulations.
There is no limit to the magazine capacity for semi-automatic rim-fire long guns, or for other long guns that are not semi-automatics.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/default_e.asp#a6

EDIT - Heres the hunting regulations for Sask. I was unable to find any provincial laws further restricting the federal laws I mentioned

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=1738,318,246,94,88,Document s&MediaID=938&Filename=2008+Hunting+Guide. pdf