Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What type of deer stand do you use? >

What type of deer stand do you use?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What type of deer stand do you use?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:19 PM

Default RE: What type of deer stand do you use?

I hunt mostly out of my Lone Wolf Hand Climber but I also like the Equalizer climber and Millenium hang ons. When I gun hunt I use tower/box stands mostly.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I use both, as well as ground blinds. My buddies and I have a parcel of private land that covers about 600 acres on one side of the street, about 200 acres on the other side and another 400 acres a little further up the road. We set up two stands and one blind each in different areas and have the climbers in the truck for the remote areas. Each one of us knows where the others are set up and switch spots when needed.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Spike

I have 2 tripods, 2 double ladder stands, 3 single ladder stands, 6 loc-ons, and 2 climbers. There is a situation for ever type of stand. But i'm leaning alittle more to the ladder stands now bc my wife has started hunting with me and my 7 year old daughter has been hunting with me for the last 2 years so they are alittle more suited for them.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

I use a climber most of the time.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where I hunt, each type has its advantages and disadvantages. My No.1 favorite is the climber. The main drawback is of course hunting areas that do not have a suitable tree in the right place ... or trees at all !!! In my opinion the main advantage is that you can set a climber relatively easily, and then move it as needed in relative short order to take better advantage of the terrain, wind direction and what you have observed. Another plus is that you do not give away your "spots" by leaving a ladder or lock-on in there for someone else to discover and use. Practically every make and model of climber out there now is relatively light weight and rock solid ... and I am about 100% certain everyone comes with a fall restraint system. Maybe not the easiest to use but the "free" ones I have seen appear to be up to the job.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Spike

depends on how you hunt, where you hunt, I use climbers mostly( summit viper) but have a few lockons and ladders
Old 02-03-2009, 08:48 AM

I buy the cheap $30.to$40. dollar hang on stands,They are what I call disposable stands if the always faithful tree stand thief pays you a visit you won't be out of alot of money. You can get these at your local sporting good chain store. They are reliable and you can sit pretty comfortable for long periods of time. I have had some for 3 years now. I hang mine about 30 + feet in the tree and I have no worries about weather they will hold me. You can also get alot more for the same price as a good ladder stand and place them in multiple spots, so you only have to carry your strap on steps in with you.Good luck with whatever you choose.