Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 what type of stand is most preferred >

what type of stand is most preferred

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

what type of stand is most preferred

Old 06-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default what type of stand is most preferred

a climber , a ladder , or non-climber ,

i'm on a tight budget and was also wondering what pro's and con's are of each , thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what type of stand is most preferred

I PREFER em in this order:

Ladder
Climber
Lok On

Funny thing, I don't even own a ladder stand. I don't own land. I hunt mainly public grounds. Need something to bring in and out. I prefer a ladder because they are so easy to climb, find it in the dark, and sit in for long periods. I think they tend to be a little quieter and more stable. I own a Summit Revolution as my climber. Obviously portable, and pretty quiet with a little practice. Lock ons are my third choice and oddly enough I own five of them. They are cheap. Most are not that comfortable. They are a little more comfortable than a 5 gallon bucket on the ground. I have managed to find a few that are pretty comfortable. A swivel seat makes a big difference, a small foot rest helps, and of course the more padding the better.

All my opinions of course

j
Old 06-29-2004, 06:35 AM

Justhrowit, you hit it on the head. I own a top of the line climber which I use the most. I also own a 'Grizzly' ladder stand that is just awsome. Problem is, it's very heavy and awkward to move. If you have a place you can set it and forget it, it's the best. Big, quiet and very comfortable. I too own 4-5 loc-ons. Good for putting up in alot of different areas, but not high on the comfort scale. Not to mention, you'll need steps or a hang on ladder to access them. If I was only going to have one stand, it would be a 'good' climber. IMHO
Old 06-29-2004, 12:52 PM

API makes a collapsable lader stand called the packmaster. basically its a stick ladder that opens like a telescope to 17' attatched to a platform and seat. I've been considering it for a little while because i dont have any private land either, but like the stability and easy climb up a ladder stand. you can check it out at bass pro or cabelas website, the whole thing folds up and packs in like a climber.You may want to check it out also or if any one knows about it or has used it please let us know.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:36 PM

I have tried all types of stands. (i have 23 stands of all types climbers, hang on, and ladder stands). But i perfer a climing stand over the hang on or the ladder stand. mainly for the mobility with a climber if that big buck your after comes out into past you stand everyday but he is just out of bow range ( or gun range if u hunt with a gun) you can move it the extra few yards you need to bee in range in about 5 minutes with a ladder or a hang on stand it would take you about half an hour.

I Recommend the Tree lounge climbing stand. i got one 2 years ago and it is the best i have ever owned i killed 2 pope and young bucks out of it with my bow the first year i had it and i killed and nice 11 point out of it last year with my bow that scored 168 B&C points.

It is the quietest climbing stand out there, it is the most comfortable, it is the to safest, and at only 19LBS it isent very Heavy eather. but it will empty you wallet by about $400.

[link]http://www.treelonge.com[/link]
Old 07-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 14 stand out for the season and a climber in the truck
ladder stands are great if you don't have to keep moving them, also the work best if there are no trees large enough for the other two , a 4" tree is big enough
hang on stands are good if the perfict tree has low branches and they can be lower priced ,I picked 3 up on specal for $34.99 each .BUT you will need steps or a climbing stick in ohio you can't use screw in steps on public land
climbers are good on clean straight trees but you are moble ,if you want to move 3 trees down ,lighter than ladders but not cheap
Old 07-26-2004, 01:45 PM

If you're going to buy just one stand a climber is by far and away the best bet. I have two lock on stands, two ladder stands and my climber. If I had to get rid of 4 of my 5 stands it would be all but the climber. 1 climber will do the work of all other stands combined.

I use my ladder stand in my most hunted spots. My hang-ons are in good spots where I fell they are sucseptable to theft. I use ezyclimb removable steps and just leave the bolts in the tree and take the steps when I leave. It's still convenient but offers more security for the stand. Anytime I'm hunting new ground, public ground, or a place I know my stand will be stolen if I leave it out I take my climber.