Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best hunting story?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:27 PM

Default RE: best hunting story?

ORIGINAL: indian10

Here's the story of my first deer...

It was opening morning of the PA rifle opener. My dad and I walk up onto the hill that our family (grandpa, uncles, cousins) always sits on for atleast the first few hours. We picked a nice lower corner that sits adjacent to the edge of a large christmas tree patch. We always see at least one deer running somewhere in this area and he figured it would make the perfect spot seeings howI was just ayoung hunter. Well we gotsat down at about 7:00am and had only been sitting for about ten minutes when we heard two shots coming from the christmas trees. We heard brush andsticks snapping soI got myself ready. SUddenly a very respectably five point burst through the brush, saw us, and stopped dead in his tracks (no pun intended). My dad whispered "Take your time." but before he could finish the sentence i was on the deer and made the shot. Thebuck dropped right there. We waited a few minutes and then walked over to recover my deer. As we were admiring my buck, the man who had shot the first fewtwo times walkedthrough the brush andover to us. He wanted to know ifI had killed the deer andcongratulated me. It was nice meeting him, even though this was our private land. This happened many years ago but it still feels like yesterday. It was a greatexperience.
vary nice
Old 03-09-2009, 04:38 PM

There was once was a hunter from Nantucket - - nah just kidding.

I wish I had a good one.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

In 1975 I jumped on the back of a wounded deer when my gun jammed and rode it about 100 yards through the woods stabbing it in the neck. My wife witnessed it along with 2 other hunters the deer ran past. If I would of not jumped on the deer the next guy along the line of hunters would of plugged it. This took place in SE pa where it is not uncommon to see dozens of hunters jammed in to small acreages.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:44 AM

ORIGINAL: WildlifePhoto

There was once was a hunter from Nantucket - - nah just kidding.

I wish I had a good one.
LMAO
Old 03-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

well there's a reason why several of my friends call me "Fudd" during hunting season, I'll share one from this season.

november 10 was extremely cold here in eastern nc, and i woke up late (i had taken the day off) and threw on my camo and grabbed my gun and went outside and made my way to my stand. i'd been sitting there for about 3 hours and decided it was freezing and i needed something warm in my belly. i climbed out of my stand and was making my way back to the house when i almost stepped on a nice 6 pt (2 yards) he looked at me, and i looked at him with the same look (the "oh ****!" look). hestood up and blew and started running. i was busy fumbling with my mitten/fingerless glove trying to flip the mitten part back and hit thesafety at the same time. i ran after him, caught up to him then he took the lead again and cut across in front of me at 10 yards, while i was still cursing my mitten trying to pull the trigger. well i didn't get to pull the trigger, and he made off (i'm sure he was laughing) safely for another day. i continued to cuss the mittens and have vowed never to wear those gimmicky pieces of crap again.i'm sure i looked like a dang fool runningdown a deer flailing my arm up and down cursing, but in retrospect,pretty good time.