Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost buck

Old 01-17-2009, 07:36 AM

Default RE: Lost buck

about 90 % of my hunting, in the woods, is done with a 45/70...they legalized them a few years back, as a primitive weapon, and i use it all season..it don't play...you hit a deer almost anywhere, and its going down...i killed 5 deer with it this season, and 4 of them went straight down and never moved...the fifth was running away from me...i shot it in the butt, and the bullet exited between the shoulder blade and brisket...that buck went thirty yards, full of adrenaline...he was spraying blood like a garden hose the whole way...
Old 01-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I only know a handful of guys that bow hunt and all of them shoot several deer each year and are lucky if they find one or two of them. All of them have lots of stories each year about how they hit a deer and found blood but no deer. If they want to bow hunt I have no problem with it but I hear all of them talk about how many deer they have shot and hardly ever do I hear of them saying they were able to find it.
I wouldn't call these guys bow hunters. These guys are shooters who obviously have no respect for the game in which they persue.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I bow hunt and rifle hunt. I can say the recovery rate ratio is much lower with the bow. I had my worst year ever this year, 3 out of 4 with a bow, that absolutley sucks. I shot a nice 8 pointer that seemed like a bit low but not that bad. Gave him an hour, we found a pool of blood (pink) foaming and even lung chunks, we must have pushed him because we followed a descent blood trail for 600 yds through several properties, never found him.
I am lucky to say 30 years with a rifle I have never lost one.
I use to think that if you lung them their dead and more than likely are but at what point. The lungs have lots of blood vessels some small and some large, it seem you can hit lung but not the major arteries and the deer go for a long time. It seems a little low a little high or a little far back and the deer go a long way. Put it dead center near thecrease of the shoulderandthey dont last long. Right there it will clip the major arteries of the heart and lungs. Just my observation.
I've never had a deer that had in arrow sent through both lungs that went over 100 yrds. If you put a hole through both lungs a deer or any other creature can not survive. I will agree that the farther back you hit the lungs the farther they will go, but if you get a true double lung hit it equals dead deer.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

I've never had a deer that had in arrow sent through both lungs that went over 100 yrds.
Now I nor anyone else cant say with 100% certainty about exactly where the animal was hit because the animal was never recovered. But this yearI personaly saw and tracked a small doe that was double lunged with a .308 and that deer went 200 yds. the deer really didnt start leaving a blood trail for about 100 yds, I gutted this deer and saw it was double lunged.
I have hit deer with an arrow that seemed to be double lunged and never recovered. I have also made bad shots on deer with my bow and recovered them.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:50 AM

When I bow hunt I always make sure I have a clear shot at the shoulder. More towards the back, lower part of the shoulder. That way I take out the heart and maybe some lungs too.

With a rifle or mussel loader I go for the neck area or the head if that's all I have a shot at. (75% time this is all I get) But if I get lucky I'll get a shot at one broad side. I aim mid shoulder if not lower shoulder towards the back to I destroy all the vitals I can. I have found this to work good with my ballistic tip bullets. The deer I shot this year all had mush for a heart and busted ribs.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Good luck tracking that deer. I know that sick feeling you get when you lose a blood trail.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only know a handful of guys that bow hunt and all of them shoot several deer each year and are lucky if they find one or two of them. All of them have lots of stories each year about how they hit a deer and found blood but no deer. If they want to bow hunt I have no problem with it but I hear all of them talk about how many deer they have shot and hardly ever do I hear of them saying they were able to find it.
Sounds like your buddies are idiots. Ifthey are hitting several deer a year & only recovering 1-2,they aren't putting the arrows thru the vitals, orthey can't track for anything. In either casethey should quit hunting, or remedy the situation before taking any more shots.

can say the recovery rate ratio is much lower with the bow. I had my worst year ever this year, 3 out of 4 with a bow, that absolutley sucks. I shot a nice 8 pointer that seemed like a bit low but not that bad. Gave him an hour, we found a pool of blood (pink) foaming and even lung chunks, we must have pushed him because we followed a descent blood trail for 600 yds through several properties, never found him.
I am lucky to say 30 years with a rifle I have never lost one.
Again, you must not be hitting them where you think, or you aren't a very good tracker. Other than the statistical abnormality, a double lunged deer is dead. And nearly all of the time very quickly. I know on the rare occasion they can cover quite a bit of distance, but that is no excuse for not finding one...or 3.