Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost buck

Old 01-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Lost buck

My grandson shot a big 8 point this afternoon with his new .270, broadside about 50 yards. Blood sprayed all over the place. Weblood trailed him,some good pink lung blood,thru a field and down into a creek bottom, crossed the creeks and up a hill where the blood stopped at the edge of a briar patch. We will be back out there in the morning and try and find him. He is just sick about it.........me too.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Default RE: Lost buck

Man that sucks. that is the worst feeling too. Sorry bout that
Old 01-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck! How's the temp down there? If its cool enough you might not loose much meat! I lost an 8 point this year, I found him the next morning and the only thinglost was the tenderloins! Luckily, it was cool and the 'yotes didn't find him before I did!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

gh you might not loose much meat! I lost an 8 point this year, I found him the next morning and the only thing lost was the tenderloins! Luckily, it was cool and the 'yotes didn't find him before I did!
I know how you feel. I've lost a few deer in my life. Just this year the day before hunting season ended I had a deer creep out to me and look around before coming into the field. He was about 35 yards from me and I shot him in the head and chest with my 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 000buckshot. I'm pretty sure I hit him good from the way he acted when I shot. He then turned and ran and I shot at the side of him but I'm not sure if I hit it or not. I found blood where I shot and also found blood in a few other spots but never could find the deer. Somone else had shot one earlier in the field next to where I was about 20 minutes earlier and said he knocked it down and it layed there for a few minutes but when he went to get it it jumped up and took off. We think it was the one I shot so more than likely it was already wounded. I looked and looked and had a buddy come help me look and we never did find it. I was pretty upset the whole day. I really just hate not finding a deer and just having wounded it. That's why I'm not crazy about shotguns as it seems to do that a lot. The next which was the last day of hunting season here I ended up shooting another doe this time with the rifle and it just fell over in it's tracks. Didn't move 2 feet from where I shot it. This made me feel a little better as I was happy to get another deer this season but I am still dissapointed I couldn't find that one.

Hopefully he can find his. I think losing them though is sometime we all go through at one point or another.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

My grandson shot a big 8 point this afternoon with his new .270, broadside about 50 yards. Blood sprayed all over the place. Weblood trailed him,some good pink lung blood,thru a field and down into a creek bottom, crossed the creeks and up a hill where the blood stopped at the edge of a briar patch. We will be back out there in the morning and try and find him. He is just sick about it.........me too.
It is likely he is in that patch. If you can, take at leastthree people. One or twowill be watching for the buck if he gets up and the other two will be slowly poking (literally poking) the ground and searching the brush.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

Make sure he didn't circle back and go down the creek. Sounds exactly like a story my wife has, she found hers 50yds down the creek.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

How many yards did you track him before you lost the blood, I have a feeling hes right there near by. also make sure he didnt double back on his own trail and cut off. I have had several deer do this. But follow the blood trail in the morning from where he hit the buck and keep an eye out.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:36 AM
Typical Buck

Ok Now, We are chompin at the bit.......get out there and find the buck, take a picture and post it !
Old 01-16-2009, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find someone with a tracking dog. You don't need to loose your grandson's deer.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

gh you might not loose much meat! I lost an 8 point this year, I found him the next morning and the only thing lost was the tenderloins! Luckily, it was cool and the 'yotes didn't find him before I did!
I know how you feel. I've lost a few deer in my life. Just this year the day before hunting season ended I had a deer creep out to me and look around before coming into the field. He was about 35 yards from me and I shot him in the head and chest with my 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 000buckshot. I'm pretty sure I hit him good from the way he acted when I shot. He then turned and ran and I shot at the side of him but I'm not sure if I hit it or not. I found blood where I shot and also found blood in a few other spots but never could find the deer. Somone else had shot one earlier in the field next to where I was about 20 minutes earlier and said he knocked it down and it layed there for a few minutes but when he went to get it it jumped up and took off. We think it was the one I shot so more than likely it was already wounded. I looked and looked and had a buddy come help me look and we never did find it. I was pretty upset the whole day. I really just hate not finding a deer and just having wounded it. That's why I'm not crazy about shotguns as it seems to do that a lot. The next which was the last day of hunting season here I ended up shooting another doe this time with the rifle and it just fell over in it's tracks. Didn't move 2 feet from where I shot it. This made me feel a little better as I was happy to get another deer this season but I am still dissapointed I couldn't find that one.

Hopefully he can find his. I think losing them though is sometime we all go through at one point or another.
More anecdotal evidence as to why 00Buckshot is a poor choice of ammo to use on deer!

Quick Reply: Lost buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.