Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First year deer hunter

Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 PM

Default First year deer hunter

this was my first year hunting deer and i got lucky enough to get one but next year i have a big hunting trip planned with my dad and i was wondering if anyone had any tips to hunting deer i just want to get well educated and make sure that i know what i am doing and make it the best experiences every time i go out. Thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: First year deer hunter

just pay attention to the threads here, you'll learn a lot. Ask questions as they come up.
-Jake
Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Typical Buck

I strongly suggest working on your physical conditioning. Also work on your marksmanship. You can do this cheaply using a 22LR. I also suggest you practice (with an empty rifle) reducing your arc of motion with your deer rifle (shouder, hold on a specific target point, rest and repeat). Once you reduce your arc of motion, you can dry fire (use a snap cap) and work on reducing the firearm movement while pulling the trigger. Also work on being able to walk as quietly as possible (walk while wearing electronic ear protection to hear all your sounds). Remember that scent control and eliminating as muchbody movement as possibleis very important. If you do have to move, move as slowly as possible.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Here's a few quick tips....

A. Make sure that your stand is facing in the right direction in which you think the deer will be coming.

B. Make as little movement in your stand as possilbe..deer have extreme senses...

C. You mostly see them ..instead of hear them..They are quiet and will just be there...Scan the woods repeatedly,

D. You normally don't have more than one second for a shot so be ready and have shooting windows made if your terrain is thick.

E. Have confidence in your firearm..make sure you have at least quarter sized groups..

F. Know what calls to use ..when to use them..if you should use them and how often to use them.

G. If possilbe ..hunt down wind of the deer.

H. Wear rubber boots..leave less scent..wash clothes in unscented Borax or baking soda..

i.Live right.confidence is 90% of the hunt...
Old 01-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

If quarter-size groups were required to hunt deer, 95% of all hunters would have to stay home. You need to be proficient at the ranges you will shoot at game, say 3"-4" groups, nothing more. What this means is that you will not miss your intended point of aim by 1.5"-2". That is more than adequate for hunting deer. Where I hunt, I don't shoot deer at ranges past 150 yds, soit is really about the hunting and notabout shooting skills.

IMO, too many guysget too worked up about every last detail. They make it more like work than about enjoying the hunt. Keep things simple to start, and then add equipment, call, scents etc. as you feel you need it.

You will be a good hunter after a season or two if you pay attention to the wind and take the time to learn what deer are doing in your area. Don't just walk to your stand and leave when done. Sit your stand, then if you are not seeing deer, stillhunt the area using the wind to your advantage. Observe the sign that is there and re-set stands accordingly. Hunt in all conditions and adapt tactics to fit the conditions.

You may find that while you like stand hunting, you really like stillhunting better. Stillhunting keeps you in touch with where the deer are. Any good stillhunter can kill deer from stands, but not every good stand hunter can stillhunt.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck7, Your a better shot than I! Growing up if I was told I could put a group in a pie plate at 100 yards, I was ready to hunt. Now I say at100 yards if you can fit your group in the palm of your hand, you are ready to go. My slug gun holes are already the size of a quarter! I take the size of a deers heart and if I can consistantly hit that on a target then I am ready to hunt. My motto though "Ain small, Miss small!" Good points thought Chuck, fora beginner they are ones to live by.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh ya, I should have added. Rule# 1 is safety. Rule #2is HAVE FUN!!! Sometimes people get too caught up in bagging a deer, hunting is suppose to be fun so remember when your out there, there are A LOT worse things you could be doing!!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Welcome to deer hunting jlipetri! Practice your shooting, read hunting magazines, watch hunting shows and videos and spend as much time in the woods as you can and you'll be well prepared for next season. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 PM

thank you all for the advice i like hearing this stuff from experienced hunters i watch alot of hunting shows to try and learn alot ... lets put it this way my tv in my room has not left the outdoor channel in 2 months lol. i realy love the life style of hunting i picked up my first gun a couple of months ago its a mossburg 500a bought it at a pawn shop for $150 and i dont think it has had 2 boxes of shells run threw it. And last week i happen to get lucky and buy the muzzle loader that i killed my first deer with so i am just loving everything about hunting and would love to hear from all of u thanks alot