Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

Dunno Phil, some of what he says is starting to make sense. I mean hell, the next time a windstorm blows down my neighbor's fence and one of his cows escapes, I will just shoot the thing. Then when he shows up asking about it, i will stand there grilling steaks and give him a stern lecture on how he deserved it for letting one of his scruffy cows escape. I will also chide him for being a scruffy littleman, with a scruffy little wife, and scruffy little kids.....
Old 12-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Phil and Lanse, when you guys have accomplished anything with a birddog let me know would you? Until then, spare me.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well obviously we have both managed to make it to middle age without shooting one simply for getting out of its pen. Compartatively speaking that is probably somethingto brag about.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, what exactly have you accomplished besides making a fool of yourself? I have 2 very well behave bird dogs and I know if I was looking for someone who guides a hunter out there you would never get me.I can sence your style already as well as how many others? I didn't have the time from work to field trial them or they would of been. They do in fact come from top lines and have in fact been train very well thank you. Now if yours are so greatI can tell you sure wouldn't mind some one shooting one for you.. Please keep us informed..
Old 12-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a problem here with the neighbors dogs and cats roaming OUR property. They never have them on a leash or in the house. I can count up to 5 times this year that either the cat or the dogs have chased deer away from my deer stand, and it gets very very temtping to take one out.

However if its just a one time incident I dont belive the animals deserve to be shot. All dogs get loose once in a while and its out of their owners control usually. But neglect to keep your dogs on a chain or kennel is just annoying and anyone has a right to take care of any aniaml that roams onto their property and is a nuisance.

But thats just my opinion
Old 12-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Even if you see it chasing deer you still have no right to shoot it.
Pa gamelaw see's it a different way, as per page #59 of the Hunting & Trapping Digest."Any person who destroys a dog(licensed or unlicensed) attacking a big game animal must report the incident to the dogs owner or a Game Commission officer within 48 hours."Keep those dogs secured if you care about them!
Old 12-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mine doesn't chase deer period so I do not need to worry about that part of it. It comes with part of the training they are given. Here in Maine the law is different and even a warden has to justify it. Alot of people out there would simply say they saw a dog chasing deer to try and justify what happened if not.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

That just says that such incidents have to be reported. Since the person who shot this dogapparently didn't report it, they broke the law, at least according to PA regs. It also doesnt mean that everyone who shoots a dog that they claimed was chasing deer is gonna get a free pass when they do report it. I've had a beagle go off after a deer and never get within two hundred yards of it. It would be hard to make a case of it "attacking" a deer.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

That just says that such incidents have to be reported. Since the person who shot this dogapparently didn't report it, they broke the law, at least according to PA regs. It also doesnt mean that everyone who shoots a dog that they claimed was chasing deer is gonna get a free pass when they do report it. I've had a beagle go off after a deer and never get within two hundred yards of it. It would be hard to make a case of it "attacking" a deer.
I thinkit would be equally difficult to prove otherwise.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

True, but why risk it, unless the circumstancestruely call for it. A little common sense goes a long way.

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.