Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

Redskin,

A year or so ago someone on this site talked about their birddog getting shot. They were hunting on public ground and the dog got out a little in front of the hunters. Someone who was bowhunting saw the dog come past their stand and immediately shot it. There are lots of ways that a dog can get out of its owners 100 percent control. And you are right, thereshould be some morals and ethics involved because, in most cases, you cannot legally justify shooting a dog just because itsowner isnt standing there holding it on a 5 foot lead.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Guess I'm an idiot that thinks my dogs lives are worth as much as a humans Dogs do get out, if it was chasing deer I can see it getting shot.. If it just got out and was wandering lost then WTF. I've got 40 acres, if my dog was shot on my property I'd have a tough timenotseverly hurting the dumbass who shot it. I've got a lot of money into my Siberian huskies and imported german shepherd. It'd be like losing a family member.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

what a douche[:@]
Old 12-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shooting a dog for chasing deer can create problems too. In some instances, the laws discuss a law enforcement officer's right to shoot a dog, but only after a "bona fide" effort is made to catch the dog. Sometimes specific provisions have not beenmade for a private citizen to shoot a dog just for chasing a deer, especially considering thattwo year old labs arent exactly a major threat to deer herds. There are also limitations to what someone can do while they are hunting on public land or someone else's land, compared to a landownerwho is acting to protect his livestock on his property from a legitimate threat.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I might not have 40 acres or anything near that but we do hunt paper companies land up here. I hunt with the hard to find Irish Setters and they need to be kenneled when I am not around as they will get into things as part of thier nature. Alot of money has been tied up into those as well. I had to fly them in to boot.I wouldn't like it very much if someone shot one of them. Here even if you catch a dog chasing deer it is illegal to shoot them. I also have a bell on them so that I know where they are at all times when hunting with them. I know ifI was to here a shot and that bell stops ringing I will know which direction to go looking for them.

Keeping a dog in a kennel all the time is not a good idea for every dog breed. For some, it's nothing but torture.
For some breeds it for thier well being! Mine listens to me quite well in and out of the kennel but ifI am not home they tend to listen to no one very good.

The laws differ pretty widely from state to state. If someone shoots a dog and can only offer the justification that it was beyond the control of the owner, then they can pretty easily end up facing legal charges or a lawsuit in civil court.
I understand this part of it even if I do not know what the laws are in the other states. I know here if it happened andI found out who it was. I wouldn't belong getting him/her charged for it. As well as seek compensation for the time I had training and feeding and all other costs assocaited with it.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Waiting for the idiots to show up that think a dogs life is worth as much as a humans......
Waitings over I'm here, and if you shot my dog you would soon find out how I felt about its life over whats left of yours.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try and keep my lab under control, and that isn't always easy since I am not the perfect dog owner. The times he has gotten away from me have been few and never has he gone far. My biggest worry would be for him to be hit by a car. If someone shot my dog simply because he walked past someone's stand believe me I'd probably be getting myself into some trouble if I found the SOB because i'd be SERIOUSLY PO'd. If he was a chronic deer chaser and known nuisence animal I would understand, but otherwise, let it go. It ain't a yote, its someone's pet.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

You guys can come up with all the stupid excuses you want. Your wife let scruffy out, your kids let scruffy out, you forgot to latch the gate and ole scruff took off. These are all YOUR problems and if something happens to ole scruff because of it then its YOUR fault. We live in a country where stupid dogs are valued the same way as people and when we do something stupid we can just blame someone else. These are just a couple of the reasons why our country is where its at. This guys dog didn't get killed in his yard. If he would have kept his dog in his yard then we're not even discussing this right now. Put the blame where it lies, on the owner.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, the more you talk the less sense you make. But please, tell us the truth, was it the Klingons or Vulcans who provided you with the force field technology to make your property totally escape proof for dogs?[8D]
Old 12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry but if that is the best you can come up with you perhaps shouldn't even own a dog!

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.