Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dumb safety harness ?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default Dumb safety harness ?

Alright, I admit it, I've never worn a safety harness. New baby here, yada, yada, dont want to die now. So here is my question. How do they work? Do you attach them in the tree when you are at the top? Do you climb a tree and keep tying on to the tree everycouple offeet?

Personally, I've never worried about falling out when hunting. I have had some nervous moments climbing and getting into permanent stands. This is where I think a harness would be helpful, and I cant figure out how one would work in that circumstance.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dumb safety harness ?

Most Safety Harnesses are for when you sitting in the stand, not when your climbing up. The Hunter Safety System that i use is only good for when im in the stand and ready to hunt. The back strap attaches to the strap you put around the tree.

However some guys buy tree climbing harnesses that tree workers use to climb trees. These work great as your climbing. I personally dont use one. Although there are some trees i sit in where they would be nice.

The HSS comes in handy when your sitting up there in the stand, saved a guy I know. He fell asleep and woke up to himself falling, the HSS saved his butt, 30ft tall stand, can you say lights out?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

There are different kinds,all well made stands have come with one since 2004 I believe,if you have a rope running from the tree above the stand to the bottom of the stand you attach harness clip to prussic knot on rope and slide it up as you go.If using a climber put tree loop around tree and slide up as you go.Each stand should have vidieo of how to use also.The smartest thing you can do.A guy just died a week ago from a fall.Check out the seat of the pants and the gomuddy harness both are good and comfy
Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hoss, some have systems offer climbing belts and some have belts that attach when you are already up the tree. Some can function as both. Ideally, once your feet leave terra firma you should be belted in. One I'm now assessing is the Fall Guy Treestand Safety System. Irregardless, use it for your loved ones back at home (if not for yourself). There is NO NEED to become a statistic.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am never unattached, up down and in the stand. Most can be rigged as a climbing belt, I use that while hanging the stand (lock on stands). then once up there, attach to the tree. I then hook up a climbing line which stays on the tree, attached top and bottom with a sliding prussic knot. Use that as I go up/down, attached to the tree once up.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

There is usually a time you are less than ideally attached. For me, it is usually when dressing in my stand, but I'm careful. I might start wearing my HSS in the middle, but it hurts my ability to wear a hood, so I prefer it on the outside.

With a ladder, it is when you are on the ladder, I guess you could clip to the rungs, but the really aren't designed to support a fall. On a stand which you climb up tree steps, ususally the step to the stand is unsecured, but I suppose you could put steps above the stand so you can secure your strap/rope above the stand before stepping in.

Climber's are best because you could be attached to the tree the whole time. Trouble is, you can't be dressed for the long sit while you walk in or climb the tree, so you end up un harnessing in the tree to get clothes on.

One solution might be to setup in a real climbing harness. It would be a seat harness. You could add an optional chest harness. Then, when putting extra layers on, you would still be connected to the seat harness. I'm not doing this yet, but who knows, I might!