Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

braking the law

Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 PM

Default RE: braking the law

Lets be sure not to confuse what is legal with what is ethical.

For instance, in my part of Missourithe DNR hasenacted a 4 point restriction this year. If I shoot a spike, that would be illegal even though it was legal last year. That doesn't mean its unethical.

Breaking games laws can range from failing to wear hunter orange all the way to poaching and hunting by spotlight. To even suggest all violations are of the same severity is ridiculous.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Knowingly breaking the law is unethical IMO.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

Knowingly breaking the law is unethical IMO.
I agree, but sometimes things happen.

Ever driven 60 in a 55, tisk tisk unethical one?

We all do it, and laws have to be in place, but many are overlooked and sometimes it's necesary.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:43 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I guess the real question is. Why? Why do (did) you break the law?
Convience maybe, didn't see the point of the law, Maybe some just like breaking the law,most however don't do it to get an unfair advantage, but just something minor. Like not tagging adeer before moving it one inch. Maybethey forgot thier pen?

For me, the most serious offense was a voilent confrontation with an antihunter interferring with my hunt. Kinda obvious on why I guess. I lost control.

Its kinda like asking drivers why they went 1MPH over the speedlimit ever. Carries about the same wieght as most minor hunting law offenses. Why they used thier horn for any other thing than emergency avoidance of a wreck. Most states, blowing your horn at someone to say hello is illegal.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:48 PM

if you hunt long enough and often enough you will break some law your probally not even aware of!But thats not an excuse to ignore the laws we have!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:50 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: hkbwpro111

if you hunt long enough and often enough you will break some law your probally not even aware of!But thats not an excuse to ignore the laws we have!
Thats right, thats why we got high paid tickets to remind us to be find out.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Convience maybe, didn't see the point of the law, Maybe some just like breaking the law,most however don't do it to get an unfair advantage, but just something minor. Like not tagging adeer before moving it one inch. Maybethey forgot thier pen?

For me, the most serious offense was a voilent confrontation with an antihunter interferring with my hunt. Kinda obvious on why I guess. I lost control.

Its kinda like asking drivers why they went 1MPH over the speedlimit ever. Carries about the same wieght as most minor hunting law offenses. Why they used thier horn for any other thing than emergency avoidance of a wreck. Most states, blowing your horn at someone to say hello is illegal.
For instance, Why dopeople hunt after legal shooting hours even thoughthey know it's against the law?

The ticky tacky laws i'm not interested in. Nor mistakes made. But what drives people to purposely break the law?

Our Wis law book states that it's only a summary of the law. So I'll bet we all break laws we don't even know about.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

For instance, Why dopeople hunt after legal shooting hours even thoughthey know it's against the law?

The ticky tacky laws i'm not interested in. Nor mistakes made. But what drives people to purposely break the law?

Our Wis law book states that it's only a summary of the law. So I'll bet we all break laws we don't even know about.
I have seen and turned in spot lighters who killed at night. I know for me, I couldn't ever look at that trophy and not be totally disgusted with myself. But I imagine for those I have turned in, they have no conscience on the matters. I notice these people usually follow a pattern in life. Some have very little conscience in whatever they do. I have known some to be wife beaters. Some to be drug dealers.

For me, the thing of trespassing on a persons land where my deer has ran over and dropped and I can see it, is a matter of principle.I am willing to get the ticket. If I called the lady and ask, she would tell me no, I can't go over there and get the deer. And I am not willing to let it rot because she hates hunters.

So I guess people do it for different reasons.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:08 PM

Uncle Norby, this is not a personal attack on you, but to say that knowingly breaking the law is unethical is crazy to me. Basically, that means the the Department of Natural Resources is on the same level as god and religion. Game laws change from year to year, If something is ethically wrong that doens't change just because the law has.

A lot of people are struggling to get by right now. If someone shoots a deer to feed their family (without a tag) and has no other way to provide for his family, I cannot consider that unethical.

Now if we change gears and start talking about someone who is breaking laws merely to gain an advantage on killing a monster buck, then that is a different story.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:37 PM

i take my orange off when i get to my stand during gun season when im hunting with a bow

Quick Reply: braking the law

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.