Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

braking the law

Old 12-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: braking the law

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Sure I have. I have crossed onto treehuggers property toretrieve my deer. I have violently confronted antihunters who was also breaking the law messing around with my duck hunting. I did stay in a little later than I should the other night when there was snow on the ground. Not sure how late. I have covered up my orange because it was inconvienent when putting on a heavy jacket. I have killed a poisonious snake on public land. I have witnessed others breaking the law, and did not turn them in. That too is breaking the law. Sure there is others. But I really try to stay within the law.
I fall in the same boat as you. Shot a buck a little late once (but never early, in 23 years I have never saw a deer that was harvestable before leagal shooting hours, go figure). I have retrieved deer on other properties I didn't have permission to be on when I could not locate the owner(but I veiw that as a technicality and a waste of the landowners time since he will have to let me go get it whether he likes it or not). Have walked in early/left late with a loaded firearm. Have removed blaze orange once on stand. Filled out my Ohio tag and kept it in my wallet instead of attaching it to a deer that I was dragging out of a thicket (attached it once we got it to the vehicle. All minor laws and more laws broken out of conveinience sake on par with driving 56 in a 55. But still a broken law is a broken law. Not making excuses on my part.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a man walking who hasn't broken the law.I have walked in the grey areas beforeand down right broken the law as well. Not game laws but laws none the less.

I guess I leaned a loaded shotgun up against a vehicle once when I wasyoung and I did walk out of the woods with a loaded shotgun after dark a couple of times. Oh yes and there was that out of season squirrel in a weak moment.

Just hunt so that the end of the day and for years to come you can talk about that deer without any silent regrets. You don't want the story to start by saying " I quietly slipped across the posted line "

I have wondered that when a POACHER shoots a big buck who does he show it off too?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a hen pheasant, by mistake,once when I was 12 years old, Illegal in Mich. I felt real bad about it but not bad enough to turn myself in..I agree that most Hunters have broke a law sometime in their life, maybe loading their gun too early or unloading it after hours, taking off your orange hat, just for a minute or two, come on nobody is perfect.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I have probably shot deer after and before legal shooting light but I am much more conscious of it now, and I make every effort to respect and obey all game laws. However many guys I know dont, they shoot deer w/ rifles in restricted zones and even out of season, I dont like it but I dont condem them either ,cause at least the deer is not wasted on the side of the road or eaten alive by yotes, but the crap I just cant tolerate is guys wack'n as many as 6 bucks in a season when your only allowed 2 legally. Im not a cop, so Im not tell guys how to hunt, but for crying out loud, take your fair share and leave some us legal hunters!

You're pissed that guys shoot 6 bucks in a season, but not pissed when they shoot a deer out of season or where they're not supposed to? And to think that the deer is going to get eaten alive by coyotes is completely asinine.
You dont seem to get the point of what Im saying but since you were so polite, Ill explain it to you.

Like I said in my last post,"I dont like it" but Im not a law enforcement officer for the NYDEC so Im not going to tell guys how to kill thier deer,they have their own conscience to deal w/, just as long they take their fair share and leave some for the rest of us,is all Im gonna concern myself w/.

As to thinking coyotes dont take down deer, thats whats "asinine". I see them running deer where I hunt, all the time and theres alot of car crippled deer around here,you dont think the yotes can take those deer down? Of course they can and do! yotes also dont kill their prey before they eat it either, like a cougar, when its down, they start munching. All im saying is, although I despise poaching, Id rather see a deer taken w/ a rifle in a slug zone , or even out of season, than dying that way, or rotting in some road dept. landfill somewhere.

So law enforcement officers are the only ones that should turn people in. Interesting, I never knew that. What exactly do you think is "taking their fair share"?
I know they take down deer, but to think that the deer people you know shoot out of season were going to get eaten by coyotes anywayis what's asinine. And I wouldn't like to see a deer shot illegally, over something NATURAL.
Must be just me though.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes I have. Please refer to bigbull's post #9 on page #1. It couldn't besaid more honestly!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

` I have! Ive hunted too close to houses. Ive been in earlier and later than I should. I feel they are petty though compared to the rampant illegal baiting and night time poaching that goes on around here.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have probably shot deer after and before legal shooting light but I am much more conscious of it now, and I make every effort to respect and obey all game laws. However many guys I know dont, they shoot deer w/ rifles in restricted zones and even out of season, I dont like it but I dont condem them either ,cause at least the deer is not wasted on the side of the road or eaten alive by yotes, but the crap I just cant tolerate is guys wack'n as many as 6 bucks in a season when your only allowed 2 legally. Im not a cop, so Im not tell guys how to hunt, but for crying out loud, take your fair share and leave some us legal hunters!

You're pissed that guys shoot 6 bucks in a season, but not pissed when they shoot a deer out of season or where they're not supposed to? And to think that the deer is going to get eaten alive by coyotes is completely asinine.
You dont seem to get the point of what Im saying but since you were so polite, Ill explain it to you.

Like I said in my last post,"I dont like it" but Im not a law enforcement officer for the NYDEC so Im not going to tell guys how to kill thier deer,they have their own conscience to deal w/, just as long they take their fair share and leave some for the rest of us,is all Im gonna concern myself w/.

As to thinking coyotes dont take down deer, thats whats "asinine". I see them running deer where I hunt, all the time and theres alot of car crippled deer around here,you dont think the yotes can take those deer down? Of course they can and do! yotes also dont kill their prey before they eat it either, like a cougar, when its down, they start munching. All im saying is, although I despise poaching, Id rather see a deer taken w/ a rifle in a slug zone , or even out of season, than dying that way, or rotting in some road dept. landfill somewhere.

So law enforcement officers are the only ones that should turn people in. Interesting, I never knew that. What exactly do you think is "taking their fair share"?
I know they take down deer, but to think that the deer people you know shoot out of season were going to get eaten by coyotes anywayis what's asinine. And I wouldn't like to see a deer shot illegally, over something NATURAL.
Must be just me though.
LOL Turn people in? NY is not MO, although we should, we dont have game wardens and check stations everywhere. If I bothered to turn in every guy I know who breaks the game laws, I would be on the phone 24hrs a day and about 1% would actually get investigated. We had a notorious poacher get bust a couple years ago around here but that guy was blatently poaching for years before the DEC got off their ass a got em.

Gee I thought it was obvious by my 1st post that I consider a hunters "fair share" to be the tags on his license.

Im not going to get into a pro/con predator argument right now either except to say that, if hunters dont know by now the adverse affects yotes and wolves have on the deer and other game populations, I dont who will. Predators have their place in the eco sys. ,but should not go unchecked and not live close to human populations. Yotes and wolves living near humans is not "natural"and if you think thats wrong, than you can be the 1st to bulldoze your house and give the land back to the animals
Old 12-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can only think of one person in my entire life whom I am pretty sure may have never broken a hunting law, and he would happily tell you that. However, he is also the only person I know who was careless enough to accidentally shoot a hunting dog while out hunting. So, I was always more comfortable being in the woods with the other sinners than with this self-appointed saint.[:@]
Old 12-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gee I thought it was obvious by my 1st post that I consider a hunters "fair share" to be the tags on his license.
Interesting. It's ok to you to shoot deer out of season, as long as the person's got that many tags for the season?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Spike

I have. A few weeks ago during bow season, I left my fanny pack in the truck and put what I thought I needed into the pockets on my coveralls. When I finally got settled down in my treestand, I realized that I left my pen in the front pocket of the fanny pack. I've done other things as well, but this is the most recent.

Quick Reply: braking the law

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.