Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Giles Island

Old 12-07-2008, 08:47 PM

Default Giles Island

Has anyone ever hunted this place. I have an opportunity to go just wondering if it is worth the money?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Giles Island

Never have... but have looked online and seen it on TV... they certainly have some big deer!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing its sort of a ranch that you pay to hunt. I wouldn't go even if I had the chance, because deer won't be real there.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are some huge bucks on Giles Island. It's also going to cost you huge bucks to kill one. If I were invited to go at no cost, I would go in a heartbeat. If you have the money to spend, then I would say go for it.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Centauri

I'm guessing its sort of a ranch that you pay to hunt. I wouldn't go even if I had the chance, because deer won't be real there.
I'm pretty sure Giles Island is anisland in the middle of the Mississippi River, not fenced, all natural, and it is a BIG island.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do not believe it is high fence... just strictly managed...

Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd go in a New York minute
http://www.gilesisland.com/
Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

I do not believe it is high fence... just strictly managed...
Definately not high fenced, and you are right, it is strictly managed. Some people may call it cheating a little to get a big buck, but it would still be a neat experience to go there. If I had money to burn, I wouldn't mind going.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Spike

I had a good friend go 2 weeks ago and he was not happy at all. They make it sound like you can shoot a trophy, a management trophy, a cull buck and does. When he got there the first thing they said was no does. No big deal he can still shoot the bucks. Well he pays for the guide to make sure he shoots a management trophy or a cull that will not go against his trophy buck. Well a 3 year old 8 pt walks out and the guide tells him to shoot it, so he does. The deer scores 106 inches but has a 16 inch spread, so this makes it his trophy buck, and they tell him this is a trophy, and since he shot a trophy he can not shoot another trophy buck. So now he can not shoot a manage ment trophy either. He did not geta shot at a cull so he did not shoot a cull either. i know it is ultimately up to the hunterto pull the trigger, and he should have told the guide he would not shoot, but he is new to hunting and paid for the guide for this reason.There were no big deer shot while he was there, 3 other small 8 pts were killed. They also say that you can re book for half price during the same season if you do not kill, but there are no openings so that wont happen, this happend to one of the hunters that was on the hunt with my friend. I know they have big deer on Giles Island, and i have always wanted to go. But after seeing what he paid for it and what he killed, i will not be making a trip there. May be this is just something that happened once, and is notthe norm. I am not trying to bash Giles Island, and my friend said it was a top notch place as far as the accomadations go, I just wanted to tell you what happened to him.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, interesting. The bucks don't start getting fired up in that area until around Christmas. I know that's no excuse for what happened, but if you want a good shot a getting a big buck around the delta, you had better go in mid to late December through mid January. Of course these dates are probably booked far in advance. I would be a little upset too if that happened to me, but like you said, he didn't have to pull the trigger.

Quick Reply: Giles Island

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.