Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Giles Island

Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 PM

Default RE: Giles Island

Thanks guys If i go it will probaly the first of january of 2011. Sounds far off but the hunters that book a hunt the previous year has first right of refusal the following year. Mid december to mid january is their peak times for the rut there. I have never killed a big buck and i want one on my wall bad. My wife is getting this for my 40th b day and our 10year anniversary.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

I don't live far from Giles. Yeah they have some big deer there. The primos team went there a few times too if I'm not mistaken. Given the price tag though I can see they're proud of their deer...real real proud of them.[&:]
Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HLTJR

Thanks guys If i go it will probaly the first of january of 2011. Sounds far off but the hunters that book a hunt the previous year has first right of refusal the following year. Mid december to mid january is their peak times for the rut there. I have never killed a big buck and i want one on my wall bad. My wife is getting this for my 40th b day and our 10year anniversary.
I think that is a wonderful gift. I think you should go and not worry about what anyone says. You will have a great time. Like I said, mid Dec. to mid Jan. is the best time to hunt this part of LA.-Miss., so it looks like you would be going at the peak time.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

ORIGINAL: Centauri

I'm guessing its sort of a ranch that you pay to hunt. I wouldn't go even if I had the chance, because deer won't be real there.
I'm pretty sure Giles Island is anisland in the middle of the Mississippi River, not fenced, all natural, and it is a BIG island.
Timbercruiser is right. It is an Island that is strictly managed for big Whitetails. I would jump on the chance!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

I do not believe it is high fence... just strictly managed...
high fence....island....same thing

ps, i would hunt it for sure if given the chance to hunt for free!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would go... have fun .. .happy bday / anniversary!
Go shoot a freak!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best HS friend's son, Joey D. , guided at Giles Is. for a few seasons. Around 2005-2007 time frame. It is like the name implies, an island. Not high fence. He no longer guides for them. But only because he now has a "regular" job that keeps him out of the guiding business. He was awed by the numbers of true trophy bucks (150 +) while he was guiding. Lots of 110 - 125 stuff seen and taken, but he saw only one biggie on the ground. However, he enjoyed the work and the folks. Sounds like a good place to try if you have the $$$.