Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why does this happen every year??? >

Why does this happen every year???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why does this happen every year???

Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Why does this happen every year???

http://www.wnem.com/news/18179101/detail.html

I feel so bad for this mans family, particularly his two sons who witnessed this tragic accident.

ALWAYS USE FALL PROTECTION WHEN NOT ON THE GROUND!

Harnesses, carabiners and screw in eye hooks should be part of everyone's basic treestand equipment. A linemans belt may have been enough to prevent this preventable accident.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why does this happen every year???

That is too bad. Someone got killed opening day in WV in the county I hunt from the same thing.

I think it happens becausemost people feel that if they are being careful - "it won't happen to them". Better safe than sorry. I get more cautious each year.I guess after 25 yrs of being above the ground, I feel like I'm bound to make a mistake eventually. I can't even imagine hunting without a safety belt now, and yet some folks still do it regularly.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

be careful out there guys.

This happened recently here in Texas

BY PHIL BANKER - [email protected][/align]November 25, 2008 - 10:36 p.m. [/align]A 35-year-old Houston man died Tuesday afternoon after falling from his truck onto a stake.

Justice of the peace Henry Welfel pronounced the man dead at 3:49 p.m., said Captain Herb Tucker of the Victoria County Sheriff's Department.
The accident happened on a private deer lease on Farm-to-Market Road 444 off Wilson Road, north of Victoria.
The man's identity was not released Tuesday afternoon because his family had not been notified, the captain said.
The man lost his footing while refilling a deer feeder and fell onto a stake securing the feeder, Tucker said.
The man was last seen around 1 p.m. by others on the deer lease.
Tucker said that an ambulance was sent to the deer lease, but the man was dead by the time the medics arrived.
Welfel pronounced the man dead at the scene and ordered an autopsy.
Adrian Fulton of Victoria Mortuary Service said the autopsy will be today at the Travis County Medical Examiner's office in Austin.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

thats too bad...
Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

man i hate to hear stories like this.... its always sad when something bad happens when your doing something you love and the whats worse is his kids saw it. and to make matters worse look at the smarta$$ comment left under the story..."Anyone who hunts deserves to pay the price of their actions"... what a sorry piece of crap this person is!!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Thats a terrible thing. If anyone knows this guy family, my condolences to them..POOR KIDS!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

yea you can never be too careful. my father in law knows someone who just lost there son in a tree stand fall. i wouldnt know what to do if it was my kids.