Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

over kill

Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default over kill

this has probably been beat to death but i have to ask. i have seen several people talk about over kill on deer, such as a 7mag. what the heck is over kill? dead is dead! who made you judge on what caliber is exact for game? i used my .300 ultra mag on my last deer, made a high shoulder shot, hardly any meatdamage, bullet went through, deer dropped in his tracks. my daughter set next to me and dropped her deer with a .243. hers at 300 yards and mine at 270 yards. they both ended up in the freezer! like i said, dead is dead.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: over kill

If you can place the bullet right. I have no problem with a bigger gun. I have far more problems with people trying long shots with smaller guns.

Hard to complain when they drop in thier tracks!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:23 AM
Spike

Beat to death or not, I think it deserves mentioning. I am with you guys, use as much gun as you can shoot accurately. Nothing beats anchoring an animal immediately. Most shots through the ribcage ruin little meat, so why not kill them quickly and cleanly?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ditto
ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

If you can place the bullet right. I have no problem with a bigger gun. I have far more problems with people trying long shots with smaller guns.

Hard to complain when they drop in their tracks!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it is kinda of a funny topic if ya think about it. Seems people should be more concerned with "under" kill than "over" kill.

Personally I think a 440 grain ,flying ashtray, AKA the 12ga slug ,not to mention the "FIFTY CALIBER MAGNUM MUZZLELOADER", is overkill, but many consider them the perfect tools for deer, even though most 12ga sabots deliver much more recoil than a 7mag or 300mag IMO.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think there is such thing as "overkill"... Unless you're hunting with a Mack truck, that may be a little much.[8D]

Old 12-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

A guy I use to hunt with had started hunting with a .270 when he was 16 or so years old, and had killed probably 100 or more deer with the rifle. When he was about 30 he got a 300 short mag for Christmas and of course it became his #1 deer rifle. He lost more deer with it in the first 3 years than he ever did with the .270. He ringed his eye several times, thus he started flinching the shot. He wouldn't believe what his problem was, and I guess he is still suffering magnumitus. Shot placement is the key with any rifle.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can a 22lr kill a deer? Yes, but its a little small so we want something bigger to give more "insurance". I just got a $200,000 life insurance policy it will only take about $15,000 to do the funeral overkillno just being careful. So I beleave everyone can shoot with what they are comfortable with and as big as they can shoot accurately, even if just for the insurance.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:18 AM

I suspect the problem is not with the larger cartriges, but the shooters who think it takes a .416 Rigby to stop awhitetail. The magnum guns MIGHT help turn a marginal shot into instant death... but they probably cause more bad hits due to flinching. Shooting big guns... fun? yes. necessary? no.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

Yeah it is kinda of a funny topic if ya think about it. Seems people should be more concerned with "under" kill than "over" kill.

Personally I think a 440 grain ,flying ashtray, AKA the 12ga slug ,not to mention the "FIFTY CALIBER MAGNUM MUZZLELOADER", is overkill, but many consider them the perfect tools for deer, even though most 12ga sabots deliver much more recoil than a 7mag or 300mag IMO.
In my state, those are the only firearms allowed (except pistols and rifles chambered for specific pistol cartridges like the 44 mag. You would be hard pressed to everget a chance to takea shot in my state over 125 yards (most are under 50) so a 7mag is over kill IMO.

Quick Reply: over kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.