Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I have found the deer thatwill make my wall >

I have found the deer thatwill make my wall

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I have found the deer thatwill make my wall

Old 11-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default I have found the deer thatwill make my wall

These rubs were found by chance this week while moving my climber to a new location. These rubs are all within a 15 yrd circumference. I went in today and set up on the field edge that leads to the bedding area that the trails lead to. As I was climbing the tree, with my gun and pack still on the ground tied to the hoist rope, I saw him come into his area and bed down. I finished my climb and did everything I could to get him up...bleating, grunting, and throwing scent around the air.The only thing he did was get up and circle my stand, well enough away for anyshot. Mostly covered in thick pines and cedars.

Im going in tomorrow before light with a set of antlers I got from a nice buck earlier this year. My question is do you think its too late in the rut for any rattling to get him up, or if he isnt bedded down to get him to move? He is a solid 12 point with a drop on the left side. By far the biggest deer I have seen in these woods and I would do anything to put a shot on him. Im going to try the rattling since he is definately the dominant buck in the area, but I have a feeling the rut is winding down and he wont be as interested in a good fight as he would have a week ago.

What do you guys have up your sleeve to get this buck to respond. I cant get any closer to his core area without spoiling it, so Im set up a good 30 yrds outside of it. Im in a climber, very concealed within pines and cedars and had him circle me to see what he could wind, butnever gave me anymore than the original 2 second sight at his rack.

Help me drop this guy...he will by far be my best trophy to date. He is absolutely a hoss and has marked his territory well as you can see from these rubs. There were others but these stood out to me as definate territory markers!