Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 My trip to Buckmaster land (VA)....recap (pics) >

My trip to Buckmaster land (VA)....recap (pics)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My trip to Buckmaster land (VA)....recap (pics)

Old 11-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default My trip to Buckmaster land (VA)....recap (pics)

Well, I had an absolute FANTASTIC time hunting with Aaron Tuesday through Thursday. He was a great host and I can't say enough about him. He is a great guy, and I will definately be going back. I had a blast, and it was worth the trip. I'll be heading back next year, no doubt. Plans are already in the making.

I arrived late Monday night and we did some riding around, to just kind of show me around, get my liscenses, and grab something to eat. We came back to the house, and probably dind't go to sleep until 2am. [:-]

530 came very early the next morning, but we were up and not too tired. We both got into our stands, and didn't see a thing. We did some walking around, and he showed me the property, so I could get a feel for it. You could definately tell there were a lot of deer there, especially bucks. However, it seems like he gets a lot of night time activity. We got back to his house, and we had breakfast waiting on us (his grandparents are GREAT people, they were as nice as could be). We did some more riding around, just showing me a few things here and there. That afternoon found me in the same stand as the morning hunt, which produced nothing for me. I had a feeling about a stand Aaronhad showed me, so I persuaded him to gosit there. As it turns out, I should have been there.Aaron sent me a text saying "I got you one". I told him, if he killed one I'd take it with me. I immediately called him, and he had shot, and thought he hit it good. I told him to come pick me up and we'd go back and asses the scene. We go back, he didn't have blood on the arrow, just a little "grease" and a hair. We found a LITTLE blood over 200yds, and chalked it up as a flesh wound. We left 100% positive that the deer was alive and well.

Tuesday revealed no results either and we both walked out of the woods scratching our heads, as for what to do on our last day.

Wednesday we decided to take out the rifle, just to try to get some meat on the ground, and it worked beautifully, It was a perfect opportunity leaving me an 80yd shot with Aaron's 30-06. It was also the first time I had ever shot that gun. I layed into what we though was a good doe, that ended up being a spike. Oh well, we were excited and happy still.

Here's the thread to the story.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3198146

The last afternoon yielded no results and we had to go back to his house to take care of the deer "duties". I got out of there about 1030 and arrived at my house at 12:30 this morning. I was planning on getting up and hunting but lets just say it didn't work out, and I just got up.

I want to give a big THANKS to Aaron for having me "down". It was honestly a blast, and I really look forward to doing it again.

Here are some pics

Old 11-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: My trip to Buckmaster land (VA)....recap (pics)

I've had the pleasure of meeting ans spending time with both these young men. I feel fortunate to know them both.

It's great that you guys got together and shared some memories. Good stuff.....and congrats on your VA deer.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmm, we bow hunted all week and just because I mention rifle hunting, it gets moved? [&:]
Old 11-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tell you guys, moved or not, bowhunting, rifle, doesnt matter.... I had a blast. As Matt and I had talked, we felt like we had known each other a long time. Like a good hunting buddy. And that he is. It was deffinatley my pleasure for him to come and I hope he returns. I Consider him one of my really good friends, though we have crossed paths only twice.

It was awesome... It was a experience I will look foward to in the future. Thanks Matt, and Congrats buddy.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations!
Old 11-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty country. Glad ya'll had a good time. Congrats on your deer
Old 11-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pics. congrats on the deer.