Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hornady SST's? dislike? which slugs do you like? >

Hornady SST's? dislike? which slugs do you like?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hornady SST's? dislike? which slugs do you like?

Old 11-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hornady SST's? dislike? which slugs do you like?

Have shot 2 deer at fairly close range 50yds or so. They just stand there. 1st buck I shot multiple times. Then shot another recently. Shot a doe few years back when I was using barnes expanders, i hit her at about 100yds and she just toppled over dead.

So I'm wondering if using those high speed SST's are better at longer ranges and not so good up close? Or if those barnes expanders dump more energy and work better?

I switched because I like the idea of a lighter faster bullet out of a slug, making it more like a rifle than a slug, but heck I really don't plan to shoot over 100yds much ever and if their advantage is only at long range, and don't really work up close? I'm thinking of going back to barnes expanders...or just sighting a bunch and whichever pattern best, and are not the sst's by hornady I may go with.

Anyone else had any dislikes in the hornady sst's? Anyone else in love with another slug other than the sst? How about those new remington premiers accutips?

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:36 AM

Default RE: Hornady SST's? dislike? which slugs do you like?

I don't know. I shot a buck this year with an sst in the lock n load sabot at 50 yards and it fell over dead right there.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:37 AM

Nevermind, I thought you were talking about muzzleloading, then read more closely AFTER I replied and realized that you weren't. Sorry.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stop and think about what you are asking....

If a 350gr bullet, going a (supposed) 2000fps is hitting a deer "multiple times at 50 yards" and the deer is "just standing there"... then you are obviously shooting the DNRs anti-poaching decoy deer....tell your buddy to turn off the spotlight and make up your mind whether you are going to try and run from the law or plead insanity.

Energy dumping is a lot of myth and crap. It would be like saying that no rifle is well suited to take game inside 100 yards... of course they all are! If you can do it at 200... you can do it at 100....

Take all of the considerations into account.... recoil... trajectory.... on target performance.... on game performance... price... availability.... let that guide your decision.

What wee bit of slug gun hunting I do... (I just sighted the thing in yesterday).... I use an 1100 canteleiver and SSTs.... honestly... they are pretty inexpensive... and the gun shoots them about as good as anything.... it gave me a 2" group from 150 yards yesterday... and shooting from the gun rack on the front of a 4 wheeler with the wind blowing... good lord thats more than I'm usually good for.... I fear I might start expecting too much of myself.