Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hornady SST's? >

Hornady SST's?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady SST's?

Old 09-27-2002, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hornady SST's?

So I went to the range today, with some Hornady SST 154GR for my 7MM Mag. They were bang on 2" high from 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips. That seemed a little strange????? I tried these on a suggestion from my gunsmith, as an alternative to BT's. He said they hold together better and expand a little slower than the nosler's. They are nylon tipped like the Ballistic Tips and boattailed. He said they would fly similar to my BT's and are nice flat shooting..he thought if they shoot well out of my gun they would be better than the BT's. Well they shoot the exact same as my BT's, with exception of 2" higher at 100. I dropped them the 8 clicks and clovers vill...just like the ballistic tip. So here lies my problem, both are the best shooters for my gun of many bullet styles and types. So no advantage either way. If they do preform better with regards to holding together, than that would be advantage SST.

After that blah, blah, here is my questions. Any thoughts, experience with Hornady SST bullets? Which would you prefer given the above info, for Whitetail Deer? and Why Are they in fact better at holding together/expansion due to bonded than the Nosler Ballistic Tips? Or he is blowing smoke up my tailpipe?

Thanks!!!!

Old 09-27-2002, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hornady SST's?

Several bullet tests including the one in the october issue of the shooting times have shown that the sst is no different than the ballistic tip.In fact the sst retained less weight than the ballistic tip in two of the tests and penetrated no better than the ballistic tip in any of the tests.

Edited by - stubblejumper on 09/27/2002 22:50:11
Old 09-27-2002, 09:56 PM

I have read a lot of hype about the SST and have thought they were good bullets until i saw the test in the October issue of Shooting Times. I would shoot the Ballistic Tips at deer and they have some devastating results on the meat.

Why work when you can hunt???? Heck why work at all!!
Old 09-27-2002, 11:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

So your saying tail pipe smoke!!!!

I actually read a review in Guns n Ammo, can't remember the edition. Any ways the test was on Hogs in California, the guy had never considered a Ballistic Tip Bullet good type Big Game. After he tried the SST's, he gave it the thumbs up. Again probably tail pipe smoke!

SJ, are you saying they are equal? Should I just stick with the BT's?

I don't really care about some meat damage, all I want is the horns to be laying in the snow. I don't aim for the wheels, H/L region. I know first hand what to expect from BT, I have used them for a number of years. I would also think if I happened to pull it and place her in the shoulder...the 7MM will have enough pop to put a good hurt on him, No?

The bullets that shoot the best are Federal Premium 150GR BT, Hornady 154 SST & 150 Seirra Gamekings (Federal). I have ran through quite a few types (factory mo) Corelokt's, Ultra Corlokts, Nosler Partitions, Failsafes and Barnes X (hand loads...they were uglllllllyyy...could have been the loader)

Old 09-28-2002, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

OK,Here are my two cents worth.I shoot the 139 grain sst from my 7mm-08. I have had great terminal damage and complete pass throughs on all deer taken. I think that the BT is a great deer bullet but I do honestly believe that the SST gives better penetration.In fact my brother uses the BT because he doesnt want the bullet to exit,but that is our family argument for the hollidays.

Old 09-28-2002, 11:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keylargo, your bro doesn't get exit wounds from BT's. Where does he shoot them? My 270 with 130 Gr BT's blow fist size holes as the exit wound. I generally only take the H/L region shots. I say this b/c I have been fortunate to have all my deer give me the shot I want.

I have had one poor shot placement experience with BT's...I placed her square into the shoulder of a large buck with the above setup. I recovered him, just took a little longer than I would have liked!

I want a bullet that will perform in my conditions, I could have a 50 yards or out 300...just depends on where I am hunting!!!!

Like I said my 7 really like the 150 gr. for the best grouping. I really don't see a need to take it higher, just tinkering to find the best of both worlds...maybe not reality!!!!!!