Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

USe for a brush gun?

Old 11-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: USe for a brush gun?

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

There is no such thing as a "brush gun", and if you hit a twig with any projectile, it will be deflected somewhat.

I suggest cleaning out a couple of shooting lanes and using whichever gun are most comfortable with and shoot the best.
X2
I'd have voted for none, but had to pick "other"!!!!
X3, I believe heavy and slow = "brush gun" is a myth. I would pick the lightest ,shortest gun, in my collection to hunt brush.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is no such thing as a "brush gun", and if you hit a twig with any projectile, it will be deflected somewhat.

I suggest cleaning out a couple of shooting lanes and using whichever gun are most comfortable with and shoot the best.
Thank you.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

The 243 has the best chance of dodging the brush, due to the smaller surface area of the bullet, which is about 60%less than a 30/30 or a 30/06 bullet. A bullet that will hit brush and still go straight is a MYTH[:@]. Choose the bullet that is less likely to hit a twig, or better yet wait fora clear shot.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is no such thing as a "brush" gun.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

No such thing as a brush gun. Just make sure you stay away from buckshot. That stuff should be illegal!!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

Just make sure you stay away from buckshot. That stuff should be illegal!!
Obviously, the opinion of someone who has never used buckshot.

For hunting heavy cover, it would be my first choice, and I have killed more than 20 deer and hogs with 12 ga 00 with not a single animal taking a step after being hit.

Hunting with buckshot is much like hunting with archery tackle, you must know your limitations. Inside 50 yards, there is nothing deadlier.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:37 PM

I use my Savage 300 Model 99f to do the trick.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry retrieverman...I've used it and I've seen it used. I've patterned it with up to a super full choke out to 50 yards and even then it stinks.

If your shooting 12 inch groups with it bless you but I don't buy for a second that of 20 big game animalsyou have shot with it none has taken a step. Penetration is generally poor and what is it .22 caliber?

I'm looking for more than randon pellet placement. The stuff stinks and shoudn't be used for deer.

I will however defend to the death your right to use it.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

I don't buy for a second that of 20 big game animalsyou have shot with it none has taken a step.

Buy it or not, I couldn't care less. I shoot Remington 3" magnum 00 buck out of a Benelli Super 90 with a 21" barrel and Patternmaster choke.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with retrieverman any bullet will be deflected by brush. My advice is use a accurate rifle with scope where your can pick out holes threw the brush to shoot through.

Quick Reply: USe for a brush gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.