Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

december decoy use help

Old 11-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Spike

Default december decoy use help

we are comming up on 2nd gunseason and I was wondering if any of you have opinions on decoy usage after the peak rut ? Should I use a buck, or, a doe or not at all.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: december decoy use help

I would not recommend you to use a decoy during gun season. If you plan on using it anyway, I would put 2 or 3 strands of orange surveyors tape around the torso of the decoy. You never know who might be hunting around you whether legally or not.

If your talking about after the 2nd gun season then I say go for it.

If it's peak rut in your area and you want to shoot larger (mature) deer I would recommend using the horns on the decoy and be sure to place it 20 yds from you if bow hunting and face it toward you.

I have a decoy and have had mixed results. I killed two 110ish deer using it but have spooked more deer than not. Does mainly, they don't seem to like it.

Good luck.