Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting over rated?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer hunting over rated?

My wife may think so. I still am waking the house up at 4 a.m. and season is over.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's definately under-rated. Most people just think its a bunch of red-necks going into the woods and shooting everything they see. People just don't understand how much fun it is.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:21 AM

hell no! believe me your not the only one deerless. I havent even gotten a doe yet, this morning i passed a 6 pt with my bow and a spike both under 30 yds. I JUST WANT A DOE (or a wallhanger would be nice...) Suck it up and get back in the woods-where i've been for some 30 hours this year. This is the reason when you harvest a deer that it's so exciting-it doesn't always happen everyday.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt a wide variety of things. I have much more fun stomping brush for rabbits or shooting doves than sitting in a deer stand for 8 hours. But I do enjoy the camaraderie that comes with the whole "deer camp" attitude. To me, deer hunting is just one pretty small component ofan overall hunting, trapping, and fishing lifestyle. So, i often feel that it is over-rated in terms of always being the center of discussion. But that isjust my personal perspective and preferences.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

your name is nap why dont you bowhunt
oh and when you shoot your next it will be great
when i shot my buck was by far the greatest feeeling in the world it was christmas in november
Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have to ask that question - that says a lot.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Spike

I wait all year for the season to start, cant wait to start planing and getting things ready for the next year. i think as hunters we all try to get every thing juusst right, the wind , the type of cover scent, wash the clothes in no stink soap, every thing else we do to put pressure on our selves. this year i said if i kill some deer ok but im not going to go throug all the extreams i did last year. opening day of muzzle loader Ikilled a doe on from a tree at 0835,i climed in to at 0730. 2 days later i killed another sitting in a folding camping chair on the shady side of an oak tree because i didnt feel like using the climber. 3 days later i came home frome work late threw my cloths on grabed my 7 yo boyto go for the first time with me 40 minuts later at the edge of a field i shot a 6point 140# buck.then i made the mistake of 7 daysoff not including 2 saterdays to hunt and tried to get it all right. nothing happened!! and i was doing it all right as i know it.worked for a couple days thenwant outlast saterday put my climer in a tree 11 feet of the ground. i was still setting up the upperplatform when a very lage doe came walking down the hill. i shot her at 0633. i cleaned her and placed her under a pine tree(it was 20 deg that morn.) got back up in the climber alittle stinkyer than the first time. at 0955 i shot a 150# 5 pnt buck. mosthunters would say "you shouldnt have been able to do it.. the wind was all wrong... you were smelly. i just tell them I stopped sweating it all, I just get out there and hunt!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tell me it's over-rated when you are drawing back at an animal you consider to be a trophy! That feeling causes us more time, energy, money, and frustration! It's an addiction.

Sounds like you need to find some better hunting ground! If more guys put the time and money into property that they do into worthless gadgets - they would see and kill better animals!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

wow.....

overrated? NO!!!

Frustrating? HELL YES!!!

We all go through it man, I am having a down right frustrating season when it comes to connecting on a good buck. I have passed up many and seen the shooters but still havent taken a shot ata buck. Yes its frustrating but thats when you got to step back and realize why you do it. I had to just last week as it was eating at me, I have set at least 3 to 4 days a week for the last 2 and half months(3 weeks elk hunting). I have passed on a lot of deer, searching for the monster. My levels of frustration were sky high. But then i realized i just need to relax and enjoy it.

I love being outdoors, i love to scout, set up cameras, make food plots, look for new properties and put up new stand sites, and i also love the hours in the woods. Take a step back and breathe. Your there to have fun, and if your not having fun at all, maybe its not for you.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Spike

I think you may have to reassess your expectations. How many deer licenses are issued in your state and how many deer are harvested. Of those, how many are bucks and of them, how many do you think are 8 points or more. I would love to bag a big one but I also love the woods and taking on mother nature. There is nothing like being toasty warm and comfortable in sub zero temps.

Quick Reply: Deer hunting over rated?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.