Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Great Debate Over Baiting

Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Great Debate Over Baiting

Theres no doubt feeding works but it doesnt guarantee a big buck. I hunted a Texas ranch managed by the state, its for drawing hunts. Anyway I have been on this ranch during the youth hunts, were allowed to corn the roads only during youth hunts and the youths are only allowed spikes and does, we were succesfull evreytime and so were most of the others. This ranch is 15000 acers, high fenced where they do no supplemental feeding, they do studies on all the game on this ranch.
I also got to do an adult bow hunt on this ranch where we were alowed atrophy deer and one management deer. We were not allowed to feed, there were 90 bowhunters hunting 15000 acres and not a single one killed a deer. And theres a lot of big deer on it. The south Texas brush can prove to be too much unless you feed., theres no way to pattern deer you cant see, theres no food sources to hunt over, south Texas is like a brushy thorny desert. The only way to really hunt it is to hunt the roads or senderos with corn out there to stop a deer long enough for a shot.
A lot of Texas is like this, its a never ending sea of woods, theres no wooded area where the deer lives and moves out into the pastures to feed, its all woods, every where, visibilty can be 100 yards max, how do you pattern deer you cant see. Its very difficult to hunt without putting out a food source, like a feeder.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Iowa - there is plenty of corn to be found everywhere. I have a few cornfields to hunt in, mabye 1000 acres m/l. I can watch them, put up trail cams, scout around, and I am not definetly going to come home with a deer.

If I set up a bait station, feeding once an hour dumping corn out under a treestand I can pretty much gaurentee I will be able to shoot all of the deer I want. This is not exciting to me. Or fun. Dumping piles of corn out and hunting 15 yds from them is nothing like hunting in a picked corn field - I am sick of people making this comparison.

I watched a video of a black bear"hunt" where the guide had been filling up a 50 gallon drum up with mollassas every week or day so that the bears would come andgorge themselveson it. Thenthe"hunter" who paid $2000 for the hunt sat in a tree 10 yds from it and blastedaway an hour into the hunt. Then the bear ran off barking like a dog for miles due to the misplaced shot. It made me sick.When I commented on itin the big game forum everyone got all up in arms and made this "you put worms on your hook" comparrison.

In my opinion, baiting is white trash backwords hillbilly technique. I find it offensive. I would never apologize for saying this either, becuause everyone is entitled to their opinion- including me.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:12 PM

Well said.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

I hunt in Iowa - there is plenty of corn to be found everywhere. I have a few cornfields to hunt in, mabye 1000 acres m/l. I can watch them, put up trail cams, scout around, and I am not definetly going to come home with a deer.
the only difference is your corn pile is bigger than mine.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 PM

I have hunted without bait and bait and I am now a supporter for baiting. I will summarize my points below:
[ul][*]One large problem we have around here is road hunting and people shooting on land without permission. When you bait, you only hunts your spots that you have set up.You don't see any other hunters and don't hunt on land without permission.[*]Hunting over a food plot is exactly the same as putting out some bait. The new food plots being planted are made to attract deer and I think they work far greater than a bait pile.[*]It is an incredible amount of work to bait a spot and keep the bait up through hunting season.It by no means is for the lazy (lazy is driving around).[*]In my area we only get one tag and I am a trophy hunter so I am very picky about shooting as deer. In turn I feed probably around 200 deer and help them make through the winter.[*]It is an incredibly amazing way to see deer within 50 yards and any shots you do make are far more successful.[/ul]
The best product on the market today is BUCK GRUB!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

Here's how I see it...

IF ITS LEGAL, GO FOR IT!!!!
Again...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Banned

You use bait because you cant shoot a "trophy" any other way. If you want to really help the deer, shoot some does. Road hunters love to bait, because they have an easier way to find the exact spot they want to shoot from i.e. park the truck. What do you think public land would look like if everyone baited? If you want to hand feed deer, go to a zoo.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Theres no doubt feeding works but it doesnt guarantee a big buck. I hunted a Texas ranch managed by the state, its for drawing hunts. Anyway I have been on this ranch during the youth hunts, were allowed to corn the roads only during youth hunts and the youths are only allowed spikes and does, we were succesfull evreytime and so were most of the others. This ranch is 15000 acers, high fenced where they do no supplemental feeding, they do studies on all the game on this ranch.
I also got to do an adult bow hunt on this ranch where we were alowed atrophy deer and one management deer. We were not allowed to feed, there were 90 bowhunters hunting 15000 acres and not a single one killed a deer. And theres a lot of big deer on it. The south Texas brush can prove to be too much unless you feed., theres no way to pattern deer you cant see, theres no food sources to hunt over, south Texas is like a brushy thorny desert. The only way to really hunt it is to hunt the roads or senderos with corn out there to stop a deer long enough for a shot.
A lot of Texas is like this, its a never ending sea of woods, theres no wooded area where the deer lives and moves out into the pastures to feed, its all woods, every where, visibilty can be 100 yards max, how do you pattern deer you cant see. Its very difficult to hunt without putting out a food source, like a feeder.
We hunt N MN. There are no fences, very few roads and no baiting. Unless you learn to hunt deer you won't get one unless you are lucky. We sit in tree stands 25' off the ground on trails and are very patient. You say that there is no way to pattern deer as there are no food sources? So they don't eat? Drink? Come on..you aren't making sense. I am not finding fault with your method but am having a hard time with your logic.

We aren't guaranteed a big buck but we do pretty well. We have an 8 or better rule so we let the little ones walk. We almost always tag out but the herd is at near record numbers. If I was guaranteed a big buck I guess I would feel like I do when I get invited on one of those farm release bird pheasant hunts...its fun but not really hunting.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ZR 900

We hunt N MN. There are no fences, very few roads and no baiting. Unless you learn to hunt deer you won't get one unless you are lucky. We sit in tree stands 25' off the ground on trails and are very patient. You say that there is no way to
what i am saying is Texas is thick and big, visibility can be 100 yds max, the woods can be 100's of square miles big with no corn fields or peanut fields, nothing, just woods and woods and woods. All of Texas is privately owned, we dont have a vast area we can hunt, we might hunt a 100 acre tract in a million acre area, theyre food is whatever they eat, grasses acorns etc. its everywhere, they dont go from wood to food sources the food is everywhere they roam, you cant sit on a field and glass there habits,theres no fields, the only thing you could do is sit on a trail and hope one comes down it that day. Or put up a food source like a feeder. Theyre good for seeing lots of deer but by no means guarantees a big buck , you hope one follows a doe in, big bucks usually ignore feeders. All my good bucks have come from rattling. Hand fed corn on roads works a lot better than a feeder for bucks, you can sit on roads or senderos and can see much much further however if a buck crosses and you dont have some feed out your not going to stop him long enough to get a shot off.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SavageOne

crokit, walker12 thanks for providing examples of that "holier than thou" attitude I was talking about. Walkerimplying someone who baits is comparable to a meth head really raises the civility of the discussion.

If enjoying the hunt more than the kill makes me holier than tho, then I guess I am, although my priest will take issue with you. Where I see a holier than tho constantly exhibited is when those who ask for an opinion can't/won't accept them.[:@]

I just have to LMAO every time I hear someone say " Baitin' ain't no different than food plots ".

Quick Reply: The Great Debate Over Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.