Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Great Debate Over Baiting

Old 11-21-2008, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The Great Debate Over Baiting

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: ZR 900

We hunt N MN. There are no fences, very few roads and no baiting. Unless you learn to hunt deer you won't get one unless you are lucky. We sit in tree stands 25' off the ground on trails and are very patient. You say that there is no way to
what i am saying is Texas is thick and big, visibility can be 100 yds max, the woods can be 100's of square miles big with no corn fields or peanut fields, nothing, just woods and woods and woods. All of Texas is privately owned, we dont have a vast area we can hunt, we might hunt a 100 acre tract in a million acre area, theyre food is whatever they eat, grasses acorns etc. its everywhere, they dont go from wood to food sources the food is everywhere they roam, you cant sit on a field and glass there habits,theres no fields, the only thing you could do is sit on a trail and hope one comes down it that day. Or put up a food source like a feeder. Theyre good for seeing lots of deer but by no means guarantees a big buck , you hope one follows a doe in, big bucks usually ignore feeders. All my good bucks have come from rattling. Hand fed corn on roads works a lot better than a feeder for bucks, you can sit on roads or senderos and can see much much further however if a buck crosses and you dont have some feed out your not going to stop him long enough to get a shot off.
This is exactly how we hunt in N MN except that the woods is public for the most part (however it is slipping away piece by piece). Food is everywhere, trails are everywhere. We find one and hope a buck chases a doe by. Lot's of patience and no guarantee of success. We get off the logging trails and away from any ATV traffic. We don't use ATV's during any daylight hours. It works. We shoot great deer. Rattling works somewhat. Calls too. Have not had much success with scents but $10 a small bottle is a waste to me as I usually do well without it. I tried it one season and felt I threw away the $10.

Feeding deer here works as well as anywhere I guess. If we throw any food out in the yard of the house we will have so many show up they become pests. If we baited in the woods we would be guranteed a big buck as all the deer in the area would be there. Bucks would follow the does or just come to eat. Not much fun in that. Might as well negotiate a deal with a rancher and shoot one of his cows.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: crokit

ORIGINAL: SavageOne

crokit, walker12 thanks for providing examples of that "holier than thou" attitude I was talking about. Walkerimplying someone who baits is comparable to a meth head really raises the civility of the discussion.

If enjoying the hunt more than the kill makes me holier than tho, then I guess I am, although my priest will take issue with you. Where I see a holier than tho constantly exhibited is when those who ask for an opinion can't/won't accept them.[:@]

I just have to LMAO every time I hear someone say " Baitin' ain't no different than food plots ".
Nope, the belief that someone using a legal practice(and that is what we're talking about) that you don't belive in and then saying that means you hunt and they kill is the "holier than thou" attitude I'm talking about.
I have no problem listening to the points of someone who has a different view than mine. You have made no points.
You are right that very often a person won't change strongly held beliefs, but a discussion of the pros and cons can help to bring the sides closer. So why don't you stop laughing long enough to tell us why you think food plots are different than baiting.

vabyrdsame thing,saying someone who is using a legal practice,in thier state, can't get a "trophy" is a little exclusive isn't it. Why not say anyone who uses grunts or lures or rattle bags can't get a "trophy" any other way?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savageone: really don't know how to make it any more plain. If my state allowed baiting, I wouldn't do it. Plain and simple. I do hunt areas however where it is legal to put mineral blocks, etc out and remove them prior to season. I don't do it. My preference. My choice. regions of this continent allow you to ride in the back of a truck on a tower and shoot deer. I wouldn't do it, my preference, my choice. IMHO, that's what baiting is ; deer shooting. People road " hunt ". I don't, my preference, my choice. These activities IMHO are deer shooting, not deer hunting. Those who can and want to take deer that way, have at it.

As far as how I see a difference between baiting and foodplot { I do neither } My analogy would be this; Picture two restaurants, both serve the same exact cusine { or different food, take your pick.] Both provide ample cover for ambush. Only, at these restaurants, deer only are served. One restaurant has one table 20 sq.ft in size. The other restaurant is huge, covering a city block or more, hundreds of tables and chairs, lots of entrances/exits. On any given day, you have one spot to pick to harvest a deer at either restaurant. bow or gun, take your choice. Need I say more.

As I stated prior, to each his own, but I guess then I am holier than tho. After all, it IS legal to be so, isn't it.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 11-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

To each, his own. We're all different in some ways and alike in others. I do what's legal and feels good for me and I suspect others do the same. That being said, I guess I've killed at least 1 deer by all the methods above and they all tasted the same. I've baited their ears, noses and stomachs......lol. I couldn't say off hand how many I've had come to me after I used the grunt tube. Heck, once I called a buck to me using a doe bleat, shot at it with my bow and missed, and called it back in for a second shot. I baited his ears. A couple years ago, I took a nice 7 pointer using Tinks 69. A fellow down the road from where I was hunting had feeders set up and all the deer were down there. I set out a couple scent bombs using Tinks and within 2 hours I had the buck on the ground. I guess you could say I baited his nose. Several years ago I placed a mineral block on a well traveled deer path at my Dad's farm and once in a while deer would stop by and lick it on their way to their bedding area and this allowed me to get a shot if I so chose. I rekon I baited his stomach. Now if I had a hot doe to tie up or a doe decoy with estrous perfume, I rekon I'd be baiting their eyes too.....Happy hunting everyone......
Old 11-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as how I see a difference between baiting and foodplot { I do neither } My analogy would be this; Picture two restaurants, both serve the same exact cusine { or different food, take your pick.] Both provide ample cover for ambush. Only, at these restaurants, deer only are served. One restaurant has one table 20 sq.ft in size. The other restaurant is huge, covering a city block or more, hundreds of tables and chairs, lots of entrances/exits. On any given day, you have one spot to pick to harvest a deer at either restaurant. bow or gun, take your choice. Need I say more.

LMAO so because your restaraunt is bigger its not baiting. Rrrrrrrrrrright.
Your just a master baiter now. Plenty of room for all the deer in your county to come feast, now your not even hunting, more like a shooting gallery.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

must be a baiter,feeder, and tower rider. Happy shooting
Old 11-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

LMAO so because your restaraunt is bigger its not baiting. Rrrrrrrrrrright.
Your just a master baiter now. Plenty of room for all the deer in your county to come feast, now your not even hunting, more like a shooting gallery.

If you read, I do none of the issue. You must be Helen Keller, or more likely dillussional. I'm just saying what many other HUNTERS here are thinking, plain and simple, like it or not. Just like any internet forum/blog/chat, thugs are always waiting to pounce on those who's views differ from theirs. This causes many folks to fear the reprisals. I don't, whether on internet or in person.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:50 AM

I have been confused about the whole baiting thing myself.

Question is, if setting out food, salt licks etc is considered baiting and illegal in NY, then why is planting clover crops not considered baiting?It serves the same purpose as the illegal bait practices.

Hunter plants crop in his hunting area, comes back to check on it, tends to it, come hunting time, he sets up next to this crop and maybe takes a deer or two that are feeding in this crop. A month or so later, this crop is now dead due to snow and cold temps. Unsuitable for human eating.

So how is this NOT considered baiting in NYS? Or anywhere else?

I agree with what the other poster has said about scents and lures. Still baiting IMO.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you read, I do none of the issue. You must be Helen Keller, or more likely dillussional. I'm just saying what many other HUNTERS here are thinking, plain and simple, like it or not. Just like any internet forum/blog/chat, thugs are always waiting to pounce on those who's views differ from theirs. This causes many folks to fear the reprisals. I don't, whether on internet or in person.

Very hypocritical, you are the one that is judgemental, you condem people who legal hunt over feeders but then condone foodplots, and your the one who is dillusional if you think theres a difference between a food plot or a feeder, they are both baiting, a feeder is one plate of food and a food plot is a buffet.

Like others have said if its leagal go for it.

Quick Reply: The Great Debate Over Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.