Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Great Debate Over Baiting

Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Great Debate Over Baiting

Here's how I see it...

IF ITS LEGAL, GO FOR IT!!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

using calls takes some kind of skill. anyone can throw corn on the ground and sit on top of it.
What Camocop said.

Or a salt block, or a canister with a timer, or...or...or...Hence one of the major differences between deer killing and deer hunting. I'll take the hunt hands down every time.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:46 PM

If baiting a deer due to a lack of confidence in your skill makes you sleep easier at night, go for it.

Around these parts the only people baiting are the backwoods meth-heads.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Bait
From Old Norse beita(“‘food’”).

Rhymes: -eɪt

Noun

bait (plural baits)

1. Any substance, especially food, used in catching fish, or other animals, by alluring them to a hook, snare, trap, or net.

2. Anything which allures; a lure; enticement; temptation.

Verb

Infinitive
to bait

Third person singular
baits

Simple past
baited

Past participle
baited

Present participle
baiting
[/align]to bait (third-person singular simple present baits, present participle baiting, simple past and past participle baited)
[ol][*]To attract fish or other animals in order to catch them.[/ol]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
had a good read, thanks. you bring up a good point [8D]
Old 11-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Spike

crokit, walker12 thanks for providing examples of that "holier than thou" attitude I was talking about. Walkerimplying someone who baits is comparable to a meth head really raises the civility of the discussion.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: SavageOne

crokit, walker12 thanks for providing examples of that "holier than thou" attitude I was talking about. Walkerimplying someone who baits is comparable to a meth head really raises the civility of the discussion.
Haha, sorry I didn't mean to come off like that. I just said what everyone around here knows. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I believe baiting is for the hunters who don't want to put in the extra effort. Studying deer behavior, reading everything related to deer hunting, and gaining knowledge about the animal will ALWAYS pay off much more than baiting ever will.

I just couldn't live with myself if I killed a deer over bait. Just my opinion.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: walker12

Haha, sorry I didn't mean to come off like that. I just said what everyone around here knows. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I believe baiting is for the hunters who don't want to put in the extra effort. Studying deer behavior, reading everything related to deer hunting, and gaining knowledge about the animal will ALWAYS pay off much more than baiting ever will.

I just couldn't live with myself if I killed a deer over bait. Just my opinion.
what if someone is only hunting a 10 to 100 acre tract and everyone around them is running a timed feeder. How would you go about hunting 10 acres ?
If you didnt feed too you wouldnt see squat.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:02 PM

That's a good point. I've never been in that situation so I can't say what I'd do. All I can speak from is personal experience. I've always been fortunate enough to hunt around individuals who don't bait.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Spike

No problem walker, you're right everyone is allowed thier opinion. About not putting in the extra effort I'd like to ask your opinion. Is a guy who leases land from a farmer and hunts over his crop putting out any extra effort? How about a landowner who leases his land to a farmer and hunts over the crop? Niether has done anything to raise the foodsource they're hunting over simply using bait provided by another. With that said let me say I'm not downing anyone whose situation may be similar to the examples I used. My point is as I understand it, someone who baits has to continuously go out and place the bait. That means they're out quite bit checking to see if anything coming in. So in the examples I have given who is putting out the extra effort?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:22 PM

I don't consider natural food sources as being bait. I tend to consider bait as corn, salt licks, or timed feeders; the illegal things in Georgia. I don't have a problem with food plots either, because it takes a lot of work to plow, plant, etc.

I don't have a problem with your two examples. I just can't stand to think of people going out and throwing 100lbs of corn or a few salt blocks in front of their stand and killing big bucks. No doubt it's effective, but I just raise my eyebrows to whether or not it's ethical.

Quick Reply: The Great Debate Over Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.