Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Great Debate Over Baiting

Old 11-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The Great Debate Over Baiting

i agree with you completely as i bait and i hunt over fields but the latter of the two seems to be more productive lol
Old 11-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are sportsmen and there are hunters.
It seem sportsmen feel the need to give the deer a chance, like either using a bow or a muzzle loader or not hunting over bait etc etc. Like its some kind of game.
A true hunters sole objective is to kill a deer for food, he doesnt feel the need to give a deer a chance.
While both probably feel the whole atmoshpere is quite rewarding, the camping, the fellowship amongs other hunters, the campfires, the stories around them, being in the woods.
A sportsman will hold out for big bucks as he doesnt get the enjoyment out of shooting smaller bucks. A hunter will kill smaller bucks and gets enjoyment out of it, a big buck is a bonus, his sole objective is food. Hunters proccess there own deer, they make sausage, jerky, dried sasage etc etc etc . Spotsman have there deer proccesed.
nothing wrong with being either, we all enjoy the same thing, some just feel different about how we get there.
Then you have the lazy slobs, but thats another topic.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

There are sportsmen and there are hunters.
It seem sportsmen feel the need to give the deer a chance, like either using a bow or a muzzle loader or not hunting over bait etc etc. Like its some kind of game.
A true hunters sole objective is to kill a deer for food, he doesnt feel the need to give a deer a chance.
While both probably feel the whole atmoshpere is quite rewarding, the camping, the fellowship amongs other hunters, the campfires, the stories around them, being in the woods.
A sportsman will hold out for big bucks as he doesnt get the enjoyment out of shooting smaller bucks. A hunter will kill smaller bucks and gets enjoyment out of it, a big buck is a bonus, his sole objective is food. Hunters proccess there own deer, they make sausage, jerky, dried sasage etc etc etc . Spotsman have there deer proccesed.
nothing wrong with being either, we all enjoy the same thing, some just feel different about how we get there.
Then you have the lazy slobs, but thats another topic.
Thank you. You just saved me some time cause that was the next topic for a post I was about to create. I figured that I had a good turn out on this one might as well try again...now you started it for me.

One comment, you mentioned giving the deer a chance is being a sportsman. I think they have enough chances because we are entering their domain, have better eye sight, better hearing, better sense of smell. The deer has the upper hand on everything. And if you want a challange, shoot a mature doe over bait. She has been around a while and knows that man put the food there. In my 14 years of hunting I have only shot one mature doe over bait...she was 7.5 years old. As soon as she walked in she turned and looked right at me as if to say "hi dude nice to see you again this year." Fortunately for me she looked behind her...that's all it took.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

There is one state that seems to take it way too far. More than half of the hunting you see on tv is in this state. There are high fences... a feeder every 10 yards.. Basically they are hunting livestock. My friends father went down there and shot a buck the first time the feeder went off. The buck got there so fast, him and the other deer were catchinig the corn out of the air. What a exciting "hunt".
If baiting is legal in your state go for it, but when the deer depend on your feeders to live you are no longer hunting a wild animal.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

where i'm from the overhelming majority of hunters use baits ( piles, salt licks, timed feeders, and anything else you can think of) so for me it isn't a delemia it is a question of where and how much
Old 11-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunter A- Walks into woods and puts a deer stand on the first deer trail he sees. Sits and waits for buck to show up and shoot it...he might even use
his bleat "can" to call (which apparently takes skill to use) Shoots New world record and is considered the Great white Hunter.

Hunter B-Walks into woods and throws bag o' corn on ground and hangs deer stand. Sits and waits for buck show up and shoot it... if he does he is
chastised. [&:]

I dont see too much of a difference between the two.You still need to play the wind, not be seen, and make the shot in both cases. In most cases a deer doesnt walk dont the trail everyday and it doesnt come to the corn feeder everyday either.

To each his own, but obey the law (for the record i think food plots work better than baiting)
Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Spike

Here's what Nugent thinks about the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxMk9gHsXjg
Old 11-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: halfrack VIII

where i'm from the overhelming majority of hunters use baits ( piles, salt licks, timed feeders, and anything else you can think of) so for me it isn't a delemia it is a question of where and how much
My feelings exactly- Do i want to use 1 or 2 50 lb. bags of corn tomorrow?You would be lucky to kill a single deer around here without bait, because baiting is the norm around here.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Baiting in WV is legal, and we have abut 1,000 acres to hunt. It is mostly mountain land with limited food sources such as corn fields ect. We feed deer all year long. We feed them tons of corn apples, etc. There are times when we do not bait the areas we hunt, but as I said before...it you are allowed to use that advantage...then do it. If I kill 2 deer with use of bait, but feed 100 more then I think that is a fair trade.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: crokit

If you read, I do none of the issue. You must be Helen Keller, or more likely dillussional. I'm just saying what many other HUNTERS here are thinking, plain and simple, like it or not. Just like any internet forum/blog/chat, thugs are always waiting to pounce on those who's views differ from theirs. This causes many folks to fear the reprisals. I don't, whether on internet or in person.

Very hypocritical, you are the one that is judgemental, you condem people who legal hunt over feeders but then condone foodplots, and your the one who is dillusional if you think theres a difference between a food plot or a feeder, they are both baiting, a feeder is one plate of food and a food plot is a buffet.

Like others have said if its leagal go for it.

Not sure what you mean by condemning people who hunt over bait. I DID say if people choose to do so, have at it. I don't my preference. As I have repeatedly said, to each his own. Baiting the same as grunt calls/deer scents??? LMFAO. All I do is hunt, and do my best not to become some gadget/snake oil salesman's " boy ".[:@]

Quick Reply: The Great Debate Over Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.