Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BACKSTRAPS....questions

Old 11-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default BACKSTRAPS....questions

What are some of the best ways you guys have used to marinate TENDERLOINS...i have done it the normal ways , grill, sautee, blah, blah, blah but was wondering what are some of the ways you guys do it? I have heard that COKE a COLA is a good way..

So give me yor best shot, i have a nice doe that i will be trying these recipies on..

So give me what you got..

Thanks alot guys, BH818
Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BACKSTRAPS....questions

butterfly out your loins. take cream cheese and spreaditheavy on the inside. put a peppercinni pepper in the middle and press the butterfly back together securing it with a tooth pic. Grill them about 6 minutes per side and you will not want them any other way.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 PM

How bout just grill it and eat it? Its the best piece of meat on a deer and you want to ruin its flavor by adding a bunch of junk to it? Also backstraps and tenderloins are 2 different cuts, they are not interchangeable words
Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

FORDMAN,,,,,They are two interchangeable words cause they are one in the same it is what you want to call them backstraps or tenderloins "(the peice of meat that runs along the spine)" do some research..and i have tried them numerous ways and would like to change it up a bit...

Anyone else with some posotive feedback it would be much appriciated

BH818
Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

the tenderloins are on the inside the backstraps are the meat that followthe spine on the outside
Old 11-19-2008, 10:03 PM

Thank you Johnl. Like i said there are 2 separate cuts of meat which are DELICIOUS the way they are. Backstraps on the outside along the spine and tenderloins on the inside. Cut em out and grill em. Thanks for the advice on "doing some research" but sounds like you need to.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Backstrap and tenderloin are two different things. For me it's simple, slice into 3/4 inch pieces, flour and fry in a little oil.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

This gets just about beat to death time after time - and research will get you different answers. For example, here's the wikipedia definition of tenderloin, the keys beingits name, as well as thelocation of the muscle, which is internal.

Beef tenderloin, or eye fillet (New Zealand and Australia), is cut from the loin of a steer or heifer. As with all quadrupeds, the tenderloin refers to the Psoas major muscle along the central spine portion, which more or less hangs between the shoulder blade and hip socket

There seems to be great variation as to local definitions concerning these cuts of meat. My take is that the tenderloin is this relatively small internal muscle, being the very best as Fordman stated, while the backstrap is theconsiderably larger(also very good cut) muscle running along the spine between the backbone and the hide. The latter lends itself to delicious butterfly chops and I tend to cut them about 3/4 inch thick. Any good meat marinade will enhance these chops, but I bbq the tenderloins without any doctoring.

BTW, if you check out a T-bone steak in a store, there's 2 portions of meat on opposite sides of the bone. The smaller bit is the tenderloin and the larger part is backstrap.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll enjoy that doe immensely.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

I like to use italian dressing. and then whatever spices you like. It makes them pretty good. Also, just grilling them up with some butter and pepper is very good... the cream cheese as said above is good. mmm so many good ways
-Jake

Old 11-20-2008, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was a butcher for 5 years and tell ya what, tenderloins and backstraps are two different cuts. The tenderloins are located on the inside of the deer along the spine just before the hind quarters. The back straps run on both sides of the spine and run from the front of the hind quarter to the tops of the sholder. Here are the tenderloins.

Quick Reply: BACKSTRAPS....questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.