Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Blood Trailing

Old 11-18-2008, 02:26 PM

Default Blood Trailing

Besides a liver hit what does dark red blood indicate. What does coagulated blood mean?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Blood Trailing

Generally dark red/blackish blood is indication of a gut shot. coagulated blood, if you're asking what I think you are, is blood that has clotted and closed up a wound. That is not good. When that happens your blood trail stops abruptly. liver blood is usually a bright red, lung blood alsoisa bright red, usually with small bubbles in it. Both mean a dead deer, but on a liver shot I'd give him a few hours before trailing him. good luck.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Spike

Default RE: Blood Trailing

I believe that real dark blood is a muscle hit. If you hit the lungs the blood is a pinkish color with lots of little bubbles. Blood from muscle hits will coagulate fairly quickly. Usually if a deer is hit in a the guts the blood doesn't so much coagulate and close the wound the actual guts clog up the wounds. Just my two cents.

Soup