Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Deer

Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default First Deer

Hey guys I shot my first deer Sunday. It was an awesome day. I hunted a friend's farm in NY and the morning was very cold I set up my climber at 6:50 am and did not see anything all morning and I frose my butt off. I decided to go get some food and come back for the afternoon hunt later around 1.

When I was leaving I saw a few perminant stands and I thought hey maybe I will set up in those for theafternoon. When I came back around 1 i was climbing the stand and all of a sudden a little 6 point runs out catches me completly off guard. A pick up my gun slowly and turn the safty off set my sights and then he goes off into the woods. I had a few branches in the way and I was not ready for the shot. I could have taken a head on shot but I did not want to I wanted to be more ready. So I waited about an hour and nothing it was much better conditions for the afternoon hunt stil very windy tho. I decided to go and take a walk around the field with some doe in heat and just see the property First time hunting the farm and I didnt scout it before hand. Scouted a lot of stateland near my school but nothing on this farm. So i trailed some doe in heat and made my way around the field. I goot on the other side of the field and there was another permanant stand so I decided to set up there. About an hour goes by and I am sitten there eating some sunflower seeds with my right hand and the left hand has one glove on holding my right glove. All of a sudden a gust of wind blows by glove out of my hand and down to the floor. So im thinking ok I will just go down real slow and get the glove no problem. As I go down to get the glove this eight pt comes out of the woods and into the field. He crosses my doe in heat drag and stops. Here I am cought at the bottom of my stand and the buck is coming to me. My shotgun is on top of the stand. So I slowly walk up the stand pick up the gun and set my sights on him. He starts moving closer and closer following the doe drag. He comes about 30 yrds I take a broadside shot and he kicks and starts coming closer to me. He stops about 10 yard infront of me. I put another shell in and take another shot. He kicks up again and goes about 10 yards and falls. It was awesome and I will never forget my first deer.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Deer

Heck of a first deer. Congrats!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:17 PM

The first one is the hard one. Congrats......
Old 11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats a great first deer. congrats and nice job
Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys it was awesome. Will be hunting state land in Allegheny County with my dad this Thanksgiving so hopefully my dad can get his buck.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

congrats on the great deer
Old 11-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck. Congrats on your first.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Spike

congratson anawesomefirst deer!