Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Walking to your tree-stand w/ cover scent.... >

Walking to your tree-stand w/ cover scent....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Walking to your tree-stand w/ cover scent....

Old 11-18-2008, 10:30 AM

Default Walking to your tree-stand w/ cover scent....

got a question for you guy's, once you put cover scent on your boots do you guys go right to the stand, or do you walk around in the area & then walk to get on stand?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:34 AM

Default RE: Walking to your tree-stand w/ cover scent....

go straight to you stand why Potentially contaminate the area, its a future crime scene for the Deer CSI
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM

thanks for the info....
Old 11-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I wear tall rubber boots and go straight to the stand, I also some times spray doe pee on the tip of my boot. Because there rubber they dont soak in and make your boots smell, instead it brushes off as you walk creating a cover scent and possibly a trail for a buck to follow.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: crenshaw

I wear tall rubber boots and go straight to the stand, I also some times spray doe pee on the tip of my boot. Because there rubber they dont soak in and make your boots smell, instead it brushes off as you walk creating a cover scent and possibly a trail for a buck to follow.
I did that to, same day I seen a buck and missed... After watching many video's of guys getting mauled by deer who sprayed estrus on themselves I was stopping and looking everywhere if I heard as much as a leaf fall from the trees.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

I think we need a bit of clarification here cuzI do think it matters whether you're talking about a natural cover scent like autumn leaves or cedar or a deer scent like estrus or doe pee, if you're just using the natural coverscent i'd say go ahead and walk straight to your stand. However, on the other hand if you're using a deer attractant of some sort like estrus i'd suggestfirst of all make sure you're veryconscious about your own human scent and if you think youdid a good job keeping relatively scentless then i'd either zig-zag or walk around your stand so you get a broadside shot some how, because i can tell you from experiencedoing the same thing you're talking about (putting some scent on my boot and walking in), I've had a deer follow my scent trail exactly as ive it were on a rope, and because i zig-zagged i got ashot, had i walked straight in i'm pretty sure the deer would have walked to the tree i was in and looked right up at me and bolted. The jist of it is be careful with your human scent first andlay a trail that will provide you with a good shot if the deer follows it like you're hoping. It also helps to hang a wick of the scent in a spot you want the deer to stop and turn. hope this helps, sorry its so long, ourgun season starts saturday and i'm gettin awful anxious!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM

again thanks to all for the input my gun season starts sat as well good hunting.....
Old 11-18-2008, 02:43 PM

Long ago me and a buddy were bow hunting and I had a spray bottle of red fox urine that I would put on scent pads on my boot before walking to my stand. he asked to use it which i let him and we went are seperate ways to our stands. About a half hour after getting in his stand a fox came tracking him to the tree and started climbing up his tree until he swatted at it with an arrow. But anyways with a cover scent I would just walk straight to your stand. Even with Doe pee I would not walk around any more than you need to get in your stand.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Spike

It really wouldnt matter if i put it on my boots, as i am up to the top of my rubber boots in water Geting to my stand Lol