Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 YOU GUYS ONLY KNOW HOW I FEEL... >

YOU GUYS ONLY KNOW HOW I FEEL...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

YOU GUYS ONLY KNOW HOW I FEEL...

Old 11-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default YOU GUYS ONLY KNOW HOW I FEEL...

Just had to post this here, because you guys and girls are the only ones that know how I feel.. I went out yesterday on opening firearms season in Indiana, and at 8 am a MONSTERcomes out, 160-170 at least, with two does. He was at about 120 yards and I got the rush. I should of let him come closer but took the shot. We found some traces of blood and tracked for 5 hours with just specs of blood for like 3 miles in a circle.I must of hit him low..Would of left the woods but rain was on the way and with so little blood had to keep going,knowing it would be impossible to find any trace of it the next day... I think we were pushing him, hoping to get another shot. With the buck of my life time gone it was the worst day of my life next to the day I had to put my first hunting buddy JACK down, yellow lab. Ya, I wish things could of been different but they aren't.. Giving the woods a day to calm down after I tracked all over it and will get back tomorrow, all day. Just hope I nicked him and didn't let a big deer like that go to waste. That is what is really bothering me that If I hurt that deer, and didn't get the chance to HONOR HIM.. Sorry for the venting but you people are truely the only ones who know what I am going through... I hope that chance of a life time comes back.....Peace out....Mark...
Old 11-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: YOU GUYS ONLY KNOW HOW I FEEL...

Been there. More than once. You can look foward to some sleepless nights this week. Obsessing over that shot, replaying it in your mind, over and over. You will probably go back several times this week and look where you lost the blood trail. Look for buzzards circling anywhere near there for the next two weeks. Put up a game camera near there and see if you can get a pic of him, that will help ease your mind alot as to his fate. Look near bodies of water and the thickest, nastiest bedding areas. And eventually you'll chalk it all up to experience. Good luck getting some closure and know that we feel your pain.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

There's a guy who postedover in the archery forum that had the exact same thing happen to him on a 160-170 inch deer. I feel for both of you!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

I know I didn't mean to do it twice...Just didn't know if my bowhunting buddies read the gun post.... Never want to leave them out...
Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

What's done is done - just gotta learn from it.

I don't know any way to candy coat this or if you are the type of person that needs any candy coating but you say you didn't get the chance to HONOR him, but really where honor is concerned, you dishonored both him and yourself.

We live and we learn.