Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Your tricks to staying warm during rifle season >

Your tricks to staying warm during rifle season

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your tricks to staying warm during rifle season

Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Your tricks to staying warm during rifle season

Screw underarmor, be a real man and put on some pantyhose. Put them on and ull be toasty.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

I start with under armour then a layer of comfortable sweats then the heavy hunting bibs and coat. Most days of hunting up here are between 20-35 F. With a nice Wind chill !!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:02 PM

I bring my 400 pound wife with me buddy, she keeps me nice and toasty.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Orange County, NY in a club with 25 guys. We all have our own stands that we built with windows, yada yada. Great shelter from the wind, but I always have used sterno cans for 40 years.I use to put one in a great big coffee tin, and placed it in front of me in a bigger pail, put your legs next to it and cover with an extra jacket. On the coldest days, your as warm as toast and especially your hands. You just had to be careful with an open flame. Now, I found this old porcelin sterno heater, about 12"x12"x6" and open up the frontflap, put in 1 two and a halfhour canister, close and fire it up, it's great. They don't give off any smell, sound, just plenty of heat. I get a case of em for about a buck a can. If I go into somebody else's stand,I have a couple cans in my bag.Like I said before, be careful with an open flame, and you'd be good to go.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i just wear a jacket. however, i only have to put it on once or twice a year
Old 11-13-2008, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

Some info from a Canadian hunter that finds it not unusual to hunt all day in -30 weather. Layering is very important. The mistake that most people make is that they are layering, they usethe same size clothing which constricts and actually makes it worse. Its worth the dollar to buy a couple of thermal fleece a size or so bigger so they do not constrict the inner layers. Same goes for footwear. Buy your boots a size bigger so that you can wear a couple of pairs of wool socks. Wool is a great insolator. UnderArmor heat gear really wicks of the sweat and I never thought it was worth the price till I broke down and bought some. Remember to unzip while you are moving around so youdo not sweat up. If you do it is a real killer for cold. I bought some bibs a few years back and they have really helped keep the lower back warm. Just a couple of ideas from the great white north.
Yeah, I have clothes that go from medium to x-large so I can do just that. My outer layers fall off of me if I don't have enough on underneath!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

whitetaildreamer has it right. Insulated bibs are the best thing I have for cold weather just make sure you get good ones with zippers that go all of the way from foot to hip. With these you can unzip for air while you are walking and avoid sweating. They are also easy to put on or take off as needed without removing your boots. There also is no more cold air on your lower back.

We can get to 30 below here, 28 anyway, but the coldest I've ever sat out in was minus four for three hours with only the breakup cover of a small cedar tree. It usually ends up being my feet that get me up and walking. Even at that minus four I unzipped when I was covering ground.

One other thing, do not sit on the ground. Your butt can sap you too. I have started carrying a three legged stool with me that I tote across my back (with my telescoping shooting stick) in a Indian style quivver that is blaze orange. I put a release latch in the strap to make it easier to put on and take off. I you are in a physically more comfortable position you will stay warmer longer. I will also start using an insulated butt pad.

Bob
Old 11-13-2008, 03:39 PM
XTP

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

Some info from a Canadian hunter that finds it not unusual to hunt all day in -30 weather. Layering is very important. The mistake that most people make is that they are layering, they usethe same size clothing which constricts and actually makes it worse. Its worth the dollar to buy a couple of thermal fleece a size or so bigger so they do not constrict the inner layers. Same goes for footwear. Buy your boots a size bigger so that you can wear a couple of pairs of wool socks. Wool is a great insolator. UnderArmor heat gear really wicks of the sweat and I never thought it was worth the price till I broke down and bought some. Remember to unzip while you are moving around so youdo not sweat up. If you do it is a real killer for cold. I bought some bibs a few years back and they have really helped keep the lower back warm. Just a couple of ideas from the great white north.

X2 here .. love my bibs ! In fact I think it's time for a new pair for next year.

Other than that, I do basically the same layering as everyone else. T shirt followed by fleece sweaters, bibs, wool socks, Cabelas boots, and Remington Blaze Parka.
Robert makes a good point too.. NEVER sit on the ground if you can help it. Cold and moisture will get into your clothing.
I use my pop-up blind if the weather turns nasty and have a Scout inspired heater (Salmon can filled with rolled cardboard and parafin wax) to help take the edge off while in there. There are better heaters out there but this one is small, light and cheap. Plus, since I made it myself gives a little feeling of satisfaction every time I light it.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, by the time I seriously start hunting deer, the mercury's usually dropped to -15 to -20. I've found the best thing is get a pair of poly-pro long johns (or UnderArmour, or whatever your favourite brand is) and work in layers up from there. Usually I wear a pair of wool or fleece pants, and my legs are good. For footwear I use a pair of poly-pro liner socks, then I put on a heavier wool pair. Upper body I wear a heavy wool sweater, then I put on more Gore-Tex raincoat and then a heavier Mackinaw style wool coat. I love fleece and wool, but I find fleece especially isn't the best at blocking wind, so that's where the Gore-Tex rain coat comes in. It does a good job and blocking the wind, and when I decide to get up and move/still hunt, it packs down small. For headgear I usually bring two toques. A lightweight one for walking/stillhunting, and a heavy one for when I'm sitting.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Hunt in a tower stand. Close the windward window and fire up the heater. Why suffer??