Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Staying warm on the stand, what are you wearing? >

Staying warm on the stand, what are you wearing?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Staying warm on the stand, what are you wearing?

Old 12-04-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Staying warm on the stand, what are you wearing?

Guys,

I'm sick of all the layering.... I'm looking for a easier system.... Granted, it does not get too cold down here, but 20's and 30's are common during hunting season.... I'm looking for something that I can pack in with me and slip over a pair of light paints and maybe a light sweater.

I get sick of having to put on 4+ layers of clothing, too much trouble....

What are you guys up north wearing that keeps you on stand?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Staying warm on the stand, what are you wearing?

Layers. [8D]

Personally, I can't stand wearing jackets.

Maybe look into some wools.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:57 AM

I wear Under Armour Cold Gear against my skin and then a pair of thermals over that, and then just my hunting T shirt, and BDU pants. And for when it is really cold i pack in a pair of overalls on my stand to put on once im there.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

You aren't gonna like the answer....layers.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Layers....or stay in the truck and road hunt.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

Only thing I know of that may work for you is one of those heater body suits (i think that is what they are called). They are like a sleeping bag that you take into your stand and bundle up in. When the time comes, you unzip it and it slips off of your shoulders so you can get the shot off. I think they are pretty expensive and would be a pain in the butt to get into the stand, but they may be the answer you're looking for.
If that don't work...try layers.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Underarmour layers for most of my body. The underarmour hood really helped my noggin to stay nice and warm. I wear the hood with a regular hat over it and that's all my head needs. I've been through a million different gloves to try to keep my hands warm and finally gave up. Now I bought one of those muffs for the really cold days. Throw a hot pocket in the muff and just stick my hands in there untill I need to pull them out. That seems to work good. 1400 gram pair of Lacrosse rubber boots with a pair of thermal socks works fine for my feet. Above all else do NOT sweat on the way to your stand or you're in for a long sit no matter what you're wearing.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like to layer, but picking the right layers helps... i usually carry in a warm wool sweater or fleece pull over... and then my light bucksuede jacket over top... keeps bulk down and i stay really warm... UA cold gear underneath a t-shirt and knit henly and then a longsleeve buttonup camo shirt, put on the sweater and jacket when i get in stand and cool down from the hump in..
Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 PM

I do the whole layering act now, but just get sick of having to take it all back off around mid day.

I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a really nice wool suit... From my understanding, under armor plus the wool would be about all I would need down here.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Spike

If I was trying to do what you describe, I would consider some insulated coveralls. I have a Cabelas Revolution Fleece pull-over (unlined) and I love it, so I would consider the Revolution Fleece insulated coveralls. If they do not interfere with drawing a bow, I am sure they would be comfortable down to 20 degrees over ordinary shirt/pants.

That being said, I also layer. Beside all of the good reasons for layering typically mentioned, I find it is more versatile. I typically start with an X-static mock turtle-neck shirt and lined or unlined jeans. I can then add a 100 weight turtle-neck and fleece pants if the temperature is around 60-70, add the aforementioned Cabelas pull-over if the temperature drops to 50 or wind/rain is in the forecast,substituteinsulated bibsfor the fleece pants if the temperature drops to 40, and add a 200 weight fleece (under the pull-over) if the temperature drops to 30 or less.

I was on stand this morning (rifle season: I took a nice little 7 point) when temperatures were approximately 20 degrees and windy with the outfit described above and wasentirely comfortable.

In addition to the main body covering described above, I find there are threeother key concerns:

1. Head: Once the temperature drops below 60 degrees, a ball cap is not usually enough to be comfortable.If I don't initially wear a good knitcap (with or without the ball cap), I will at least bring one with me. Itgreatly improves comfortwhen the weather turns cold with minimal additional bulk/weight.

I havetwo reversible knit caps that I really like for the archery season that overlaps with some of the gun seasons in PA: wear the orange side out to get to the stand and then reverse it.

I also really like the hood of the Cabelas pull-over: if it gets really cold, rainy, or windy, I can put the hood up for extra protection.

2. Hands: Iam not comfortable shooting a bow with bulky gloves, so I find the best solution is a muff. I cut the waist strap off of mine and use a small carabiner to attach it to the side of my safety vest: I can raise it up and use it as needed, then allow it to dangle at my side when not needed.

I do almost always wear some thin mechanics gloves or at least the left hand glove. It provides a little insulation from the cold bow grip while I amwaiting for a shoot.

I also make extensive use of the hand pockets in my safety vest. Despite the 20 degree weather this morning, the mechanics gloves together with the vest pockets were satisfactory. Of course, I was only out for about an hour before I got my deer, so the muff may have been necessary for a full morning sit.

3. Feet: I wear gore-tex lined hiking boots with a new pair of Cabelas "Ingenius" socks for temperatures down to freezing. This morning I substituted some Rocky pac boots: frankly, they are not that much better than the uninsulated hiking boots despite the extra insulation (I don't know why that is). I may eventually look for a better cold weather boot.

I do like the Cabelas socks. They a single weave of nylon inside and wool outside with the X-static silver fiber layer. They are warm without bulk, they don't bunch, and the silver fiber reduces the stink factor.

Quick Reply: Staying warm on the stand, what are you wearing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.