Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips for staying warm

Old 11-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tips for staying warm

Well the temps. are beginning to drop and the bucks are startin to move. What iseveryone's trick for staying warm during those freezing hunts?
Old 11-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tips for staying warm

Electric socks keep me warm. My feet are the only thing that gets cold for me.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

layring properly makes a world of diffrence and not over dressin.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:53 AM

i bought a set of red _ _ _ _ long underwear , tight fitting, silk like , with the inwoven silver , to eliminate scent . it kept me warmer then anything i ever tried in my 30 years of hunting
Old 11-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

My toes bother me the most. I use the chemical foot warmers. Also stick a couple of the smaller hand warmers inside my gloves.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think about the cold, just the hunt. If you forget about the cold, you aren't cold =P
Old 11-25-2007, 10:19 AM

If you forget about the cold, you aren't cold
Very profound...

To add with what's already been mentioned...Don't blast the heat in your vehicle on the morning drive, it makes the cold seem that much colder once you step outside.

Don't be 'bundled up' to your fullest on the walk in. Keep your gloves in your pockets, jacket unzipped/tied around your waist., if your bibs/coveralls have side-zip legs, keep them open a bit. You will build body heat during the walk. Once on stand, only put layers back on, or zipped up only as you need to, you'll be surprised how much longer you can stand the cold.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

I carry my over coat and hat gloves etc in a pack. If it's real cold I will pack my Coveralls in my pack and get dressed when I get to my stand. I wait a couple minutes to cool down when I get in there before I get dressed. It gives a few minutes to evaporate the sweat off me. If its real cold I will wear Cabelas extreme Polar long johns and a pair of fleece sweat type pants under my woolBib Overalls.

I haven't used my Cabelas Arctic Boots in a long time. My feet are the worst if I sit too long, but I haven't had a problem yet. Muzzleloader season will be colder probably. The chemical hand warmers are ok but When I am going to be sitting in really cold weather I will go buy a box of those heat packs for when you have a sore shoulder or neck. They seem to get much hotter and last forever.

Anyone ever tried those heater body suits? Bulky as hell but I bet they work.

My friend just got a pair of lined electric pants and says they work great. He has a vest coming also.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great advice about not getting over-heated on the way to your hunting, or during your hunting.
Superb boots and a great hat are a must. When it gets really cold I switch to my old wool pac boots. Those, with wool sox with polypropylene liners, and poly glove liners too ...Thats the ticket. A neck gaiter, a hood if needed. Some chemical handwarmers .... a few snacks that can provide you calories right away (candy bar or an apples, a banana) and make sure you're hydrated. Eating anything more than a small amount can rob your extremities of warm blood as digestion can cause your "core" to demand more blood and warmth for the process. So little snacks regularly are the way to go.
Don't sit down on something wet and try to keep yourself and your feet out of low holes with water or ice in them.
It's amazing how when hutning or ice fishing just keeping your feet on a 2 X 4 or a 2 X 6 can make such a difference.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:43 AM

I have a pair of Ice Breaker boot blankets that work really well. They say to put them on over your boots but I have found that taking your boots off and putting them your socked feet on works much better. I have sat in a stand with one regular boot on and one boot blanket on the other foot to test these things out and they do work very well, but they are bulky. I really hate cold feet.

Quick Reply: Tips for staying warm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.