Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hornady SST's

Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hornady SST's

Here are my experiance with the bullet. My 30-06 loves the Hornady round and I shoot a 165 grain SST. Out of my rifle (Tikka T3) I can place thre rounds into a hole less than the size of a quarter. The 165 grain is very hard to find but I bought 25 boxes of it so it should last me 10 to 15 years. I am a hunter not a shooter. Performance wise I am extremely happy/unhappy with the bullet.

Happy: Accurate, consistant, and deadly. I have only had 1 hog run more than 10 yards (he went about 25) and 90% of ALL game animals I have shot with this round fall dead in their tracks. It is like a grenade going off in their chest and explodes EVERYTHING in there.

Unhappy: It is like a grenade going off in their chest and explodes EVERYTHING in there. Yep that was a repeat. I mean it does so much damage that you lose a lot of meat sometimes. I just shot a deer last weekend and it was F'ing disgusting to clean. I shot him center chest facing me and it blew his heart in half, ripped his lungs to pieces, liver was smashed to chunks no bigger than a 50 cent piece, and his stomach and guts were so shredded that it blew acorns out his nose. I lost most of both shoulders and his ribs also. This is what happens to hogs also. If you ever gut shoot a hog you know what a pleasure that is to clean. I have also NEVER found a bullet from any animal I have shot with this bullet. I have no freakin clue where it goes.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Snook384

I have also NEVER found a bullet from any animal I have shot with this bullet. I have no freakin clue where it goes.
I actually use the 130 grain SST light magnum in .270 caliber and they freakin rock.I actually found a piece of the copper casing in the ribbone of a buckI shot last year. I epoxied them to the base of the antlers from that buck (I know, I'm such a nerd![&:]) and I now use them as rattling antlers .
Old 11-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Unhappy: It is like a grenade going off in their chest and explodes EVERYTHING in there. Yep that was a repeat. I mean it does so much damage that you lose a lot of meat sometimes.
I have also NEVER found a bullet from any animal I have shot with this bullet. I have no freakin clue where it goes.
i agree. i've killed deer with 150 grain bullets from my .308 and 130 grain bullets from my .270. they take care of business for sure. but, they were designed for long range shots. so, they are explosive at close range. where i hunt most of my shots are well within 100 yards. although, the longest distance i shot a deer with these bullets has only been 65 yards. so i'm thinking about using a standard jacketed soft point.
as far as you not finding a bullet that hasn't exited the animal. it probably desinigrated. this is what i've observed with the bullets that did not exit.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: CAM2

Unhappy: It is like a grenade going off in their chest and explodes EVERYTHING in there. Yep that was a repeat. I mean it does so much damage that you lose a lot of meat sometimes.
i agree. i've killed deer with 150 grain bullets from my .308 and 130 grain bullets from my .270. they take care of business for sure. but, they were designed for long range shots. so, they are explosive at close range. where i hunt most of my shots are well within 100 yards. although, the longest distance i shot a deer with these bullets has only been 65 yards. so i'm thinking about using a standard jacketed soft point.
as far as you not finding a bullet that hasn't exited the animal. it probably desinigrated. this is what i've observed with the bullets that did not exit.
I shoot them out of my 308 at about 2600-2700 fps. All my shots are under 100 yards as well.I haven't expierenced the 165 SST exploding at all. Both the whitetail bucks anda cowelk I shot with them, It drilled a hole thru them like a FMJ. All ofthem were hit in the ribs not in the shoulder.Ofcourse there was internal damage to soft tissue but not like I was expecting. In all cases it has been bitter cold. I wonder if that has something to do with it? I wonder if they were to hit hard bone( ie shoulder)what they would do?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

I've shot 3 deer w/ the Hornady SST 12ga slugs... 3" groups at 100yds. 1st deer went 10 yds... 2nd deer (see below) went maybe 20yds.. down the hill.. 3rd deer went 50yds.

Took this little guy at 80yds w/ one...

Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: thndrchiken

Perhaps you should specify what your referring to, rifle, muzzle loader shotgun bullet, etc.
I agree.....I shoot the rifle and shotgun versions of said product. Bothpattern verywell out of my stash of choices.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KBacon

I've shot 3 deer w/ the Hornady SST 12ga slugs... 3" groups at 100yds. 1st deer went 10 yds... 2nd deer (see below) went maybe 20yds.. down the hill.. 3rd deer went 50yds.

Took this little guy at 80yds w/ one...

THAT AINT NO LITTLE DEER MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT HE SCORE?
Old 11-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

152 3/8
Old 11-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KBacon

152 3/8
thats big man nice deer