Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Making the shot

Old 11-09-2008, 08:15 PM

Default Making the shot

This is will be my fourth year in the whitetail woods, though last year was an improvement from previous lets just say I've had my ups and downs over the years.
I have practiced at the range tremendously this year putting well over 200 rounds down the rifle and making the shot... at the range. I feel completely confident taking shots up to 150 with a rest and 100 off the knees. I practice at soda cans at 80 and have never missed. Woodchucks=1 me=4, = complete confidence in my rifle. probably dry fired several hundred rounds, some at whitetail photos for shot placement. What i am saying is that I have done everything, EVERYTHING in my power to get ready. (including humbling myself that many people will read of my errors on this post)

However confident I can be, I'm still Leary that it could all come unraveled when the target comes into range. I have wounded a couple deer(2) missed a couple, and have literally had bad dreams. I have traced some due to my error and others to brush that i couldn't see.

Anyway what helps you to make the shot and stay cool under the pressure. I'm looking for insight and confidence builders. I appreciate the help
Trevor
Old 11-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Making the shot

TG - I don't know how old you are but you appear to be doing everything you need to to prepare yourself. And what you are describing is buck fever.
Everyone of us gets buck fever to some degree. That's why we hunt. For the rush it gives us. The key is learning to control it. Just last Saturday I had the biggest buck I've ever had to opportunity to shoot in my almost 45 years of hunting. This was with the bow. I was cool, calm and collected as I drew, aimed and released. About 1/2 hour later though when I was standing over him and saw how big he was I 'lost it'. I started to shake so bad, I had to sit down. I couldn't even fill out my tag for 15 mins.
What I suggest for you is to just tell yourself you can make the shot when it presents itself. Don't look at the entire animal. Try to focus on where you want to place your bullet (or arrow). Talk yourself down. Take a few deep breaths. Settle the crosshairs on your spot, relax and squeeze the trigger.
Remember - you never want that feeling to go away. You just want to control it.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 PM

thanks im 20 years of age
Old 11-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

TG - I don't know how old you are but you appear to be doing everything you need to to prepare yourself. And what you are describing is buck fever.
Everyone of us gets buck fever to some degree. That's why we hunt. For the rush it gives us. The key is learning to control it. Just last Saturday I had the biggest buck I've ever had to opportunity to shoot in my almost 45 years of hunting. This was with the bow. I was cool, calm and collected as I drew, aimed and released. About 1/2 hour later though when I was standing over him and saw how big he was I 'lost it'. I started to shake so bad, I had to sit down. I couldn't even fill out my tag for 15 mins.
What I suggest for you is to just tell yourself you can make the shot when it presents itself. Don't look at the entire animal. Try to focus on where you want to place your bullet (or arrow). Talk yourself down. Take a few deep breaths. Settle the crosshairs on your spot, relax and squeeze the trigger.
i agree 100% i take a glance at the antlers making sure it's a legal buck and the rest of the time i'm looking at the kill zone. your gonna get the jitters, i even get them when a doe comes in. like he said... control it!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lucky_shot

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

i agree 100% i take a glance at the antlers making sure it's a legal buck and the rest of the time i'm looking at the kill zone. your gonna get the jitters, i even get them when a doe comes in. like he said... control it!
Same Here. Check to see if its legal then let instinct take over. They have done test on Tiger Woods and when he hits a golf ball his brain nearly shuts down, he does it all out of instinct.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Buck fever hits us all at one time or another. The thing I have found to combat it is to focus only on the shot. Once you have determined that this deer is the one you are going to take focus only on what is happening in front of you. Think about where he is going to be when he steps into shooting range. When he does step into a shooting lane, focus on exactly where you want your shot to be placed. It may sound silly, but in my head I keep telling myself what Mel Gibbson tells his sons in the Patriot, "aim small, miss small".

I think what messes some people up is that they start to think about all the possibilities and what will happen after the shot. This can really get your mind unfocused on the shot. Another thing I have found to help is target practicing with deer targets. Shooting at a round target does not help you pick the exact spot you want to hit on the deer.

It sounds like you are doing the right things, more experience in the woods will help you out a lot.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:09 AM

the less I look at the horns after I consider him a shoter the less likely i am to break down to buck fever.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just remember, its ONLY a deer. And its not a big deal whether you get it or not. So relax.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to think I could shoot 'well enough' for any big game situation. After a few frustrating years of either missed shots or my personal limit on range I realized I was lacking in skills/equipment to make the best shots and make them count. Started going out with a varmint rifle and shooting prairie dogs as often as I could and as much ammo as I could load up. Lots of shots, small targets and varying distances. I got very good at not only judging distance but making center mass hits. Virtually eliminated 'buck fever' and my confidence is over the top. Looking at a buck deer thru a scope at 400 yds.looks like the wall of a barn from 25 yds.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:41 PM

thanks a lot for the suggestions they we all be of value to me.

D Rock -I like that "aim small, miss small" probably will be using that.

Trevor