Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your Traditions?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

none sorry
Old 08-27-2009, 02:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow all these traditions makes me think its already gun season in WI. lol. I dont really have much for tradition, get up at 330-4 make my cofee get dressed, load up the truck, fill my thermos, head to the farm, sit and have a good breakfast with my father in law, brother, cousin, and who ever else decides to show up. We reminisce about previous seasons, plan our attack wich usually involves us just sitting in our rifle stands, picking on my little brother and bringing up the year we got him so hammered on Dr.McGillicudy the night before gun season on his B-day..and yet he managed to make it to his stand. Hence his hunting nickname Peppermint Patty...lol..then we all head out to the stands. All meet up around 10 or so, have a bite to eat and head back to the stands for the rest of the day. Listen to everyone in the county complain about not seeing any deer over the walkie talkies. My brother giving the weather forcast on the hour lol...usually ends with a 100% chance of dark.

I can almost feel the almost sub zero temps on my nose, the smell of crisp leaves rotting on the ground, the chill of a light north breeze off the river, ohh yes, its hunting season....
Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

About the only tradition I have is a hat that I wear on nearly every hunt I go on. I have killed most of my deer in that hat, I have tried other hats but they just don't feel right. Last summer my wife talked me into washing it and when season came around I had the worst trouble connecting with a deer. I told her she washed all the mojo out of it and I was having to build it back up.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RugerM77.270
About the only tradition I have is a hat that I wear on nearly every hunt I go on. I have killed most of my deer in that hat, I have tried other hats but they just don't feel right. Last summer my wife talked me into washing it and when season came around I had the worst trouble connecting with a deer. I told her she washed all the mojo out of it and I was having to build it back up.

I understand completely! I dont like to wash my hunting hat either!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

no real traditions as for deer
this will be my first full bow season only had half year last year but on gun season me my dad usually get up and head out him with his coffee and then i get to see him pee out of the stand like five times in two hrs
but on thanks giving day my and my two brothers always go dove hunting we usually never get any doves but its still fun and i always look forward too it
Old 08-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunter74079
I don't have any traditions but I am thinking starting one of just hunting on the day before Thanksgiving, day of, and day after because for the past 3 years I have killed my buck then. 2006-Thanksgiving morning 2007-Thanksgiving afternoon 2008- day before Thanksgiving...do you see a trend here?

something to be thankful for

As for me. I think the tradition starts before openning day. Nothing like goin out mid-late afternnon picking a nice spot a good distance off from you planned hunting area and watching that 1st deer slowly come into veiw. The best part of this if your lucky is when you spot that buck you'll be dreaming about every night until seasons over.

Last edited by talonfoe; 08-27-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually have a lot of traditions/rituals before I go out hunting. When Im deer hunting with my good friend (we only deer hunt hours from home so its a road trip) we always have a bud light and a shot of jager the night before opening day. We order 3 of each, one for each of us and one for our other hunting buddy who passed away a few years ago when he was 27. We do it to toast a good friend and hope he can influence the big man upstairs to send some big bucks out way!

Another one is I always wear my Miller Lite Opening day tshirt. Always brings me luck.

Opening morning, when I get to my blind, I always say a quick prayer for a safe and fun season.....and to see a lot of deer as well!

Started a tradition a few years ago that we saw in Field and Stream or Outdoor life. We have a bottle of bullit whiskey that only gets drank out of after we have killed a deer and only ONE shot of it too. This is only done at night too when the hunting is complete. Since we only drink this whiskey when we have gotten a deer it tastes oh so sweet when we do get to have it.

Im a sucker for traditions. I think everyone should have one at least. Its the little things in deer hunting that make it worth it.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

while i go clean shaven for the most of the year, i'll start growing my sideburns out elvis style about this time of the year so that 2 weeks from now they look ridiculous and i'm ready to go. i'll trim them so as not to get too bushy, but from september through january 1, i've got a good set of chops.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watch Bonanza as I get ready.