Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Climbing stand & physical effort? >

Climbing stand & physical effort?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Climbing stand & physical effort?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Spike

Default Climbing stand & physical effort?

Hi,

I wondering how much body strength is needed to use a climbing stand. My right shoulder is somewhat weak so before I buy one I'd like to have some idea how much effort is needed to use a climber safely. I'd need to go up about 30'.

Thanks,

Kimmers
Old 11-06-2008, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climbing stand & physical effort?

if you buy a sit and stand climbing stand (which are the majority of climbing stands), there isn't much physical effort in climbing. you basically sit on a bar and pick the bottom platform up with your legs. then you stand and pull the top platform up and sit again. you keep repeating these steps until you reach your desired height. the hand climbers are slightly more difficult but not that bad.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had2 old style Tree Lounges for 13+ years and I always climb between 20 and 30 feet. I'm close to 70 and weight 225 pds.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

See if you can borrow one first. I let my neighbor climb a tree in his backyard with my Summit. He bought one the next day.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 AM

I've had a Loggy Bayou for 15 years. Havn't used it in 5. In winter clothes, in the pitch black I find it unnerving to say the least. Having fallen twice (from "permanent" stands) I do have a large fear factor. We have been using them (climbers) as hang ons paired with climbing sticks with some success. I have switched over to ladder stands exclusively. My friend hunts with a tree lounge - but we set it up with ladder sticks for easy entry/exit. I give you credit for climbing with that one all hunting season - that one is a bugger to get set up correctly and heavy too.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Spike

I taught my girlfriend how to use a sit and stand climber last weekend. She has very little upper body strength and was able to climb a tree very easily. As long as you can lift the weight of the climber, you should be just fine.
Good luck!
Old 11-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Spike

Thanks for taking time to reply everyone. You've given me a lot to think about. ---Kim
Old 11-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

you have to be upper body strong to use these, especially at that height but i think you could do it man