Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NEW CLIMBING STAND

Old 09-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Spike

Default NEW CLIMBING STAND

Please help! I am in the market for a new climber. First a little about me I am 5'8" 260lbs.(no short fat jokes please). This will be my 2nd year in the woods. I currently have a supermag(buckshot) which is really easy to climb and very strong. But it is a pain to pack and set up also the platform seat is hard on the rearend after a couple of hours. I borrowed a buddy's viper last year(never hunted with it). I did climb itin the yard. It was more difficult to climb and I personally did not like the cable "trigger" system they use. But I really can not judge the viper real well because I have only climbed it once.
So what to do... I plan on keeping the supermag and mostly leaving it in the woods. But I also want a new portable climber.

My list of specs. not in any particular order.
1. comfort(I have never made it longer than 3 hours on the supermag)
2. strength
3. stable(I have slipped down an oak tree with the supermag(thank God for safety harness)
4. easy to set up
5. easy to climb
6. light weight, easy to pack
7. quiet
... and pretty much every thing else we all want out of our stands

List of what I have been looking at also not in any particular order
1. Equalizer( I like the leveling system and cable system
2. Summit Goliath(roomy and very popular)
3. Treewalker
4. Summit 180
I am sorry about the lengthy post, but I have literally drove myself research crazy on this.

So I have decided to turn it over to you all.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Spike

Default RE: NEW CLIMBING STAND

Lots of hits no replies, I guess there are a lot of people in the same boat as me.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, best in comfort is Summit. The Goliath would be a perfect choice. Regarding ease of portability, I'd say Lone Wolf. They fit your weight requirements too, but I just don't think they are as comfy as Summit stands. It's kind of a trade off. Good luck with your selection.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Grand Slam® Magnum Extreme Treestand

Description:

High quality welded aluminum construction for total hunting silence. Slatted sure-grip tread platforms for excellent traction. Super tough form fitting vinyl covered power gripping chairs and quick clip pins adjust to fit trees 6" to 24" in diameter. Climber and platform nestle together for easy transportation. Removeable and adjustable high density foam seats for extreme comfort. Non-glare, gray powder coat finish and Realtree Hardwoods® HD™ accents. Full-Body Safety Harness with climbing belt and Treestand Safety Video included with all API treestands!

Larger platform. Seat: 17" x 9" x 2". Backrest: 11" x 13" x 2". Platform: 21" x 31". Inside climber: 20.5" x 29". Weight: 30 lbs. Treestand is TMA certified.

Maximum weight capacity: 350 lbs.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:39 AM

I personally would go with the summit goliath.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Spike

Any of the stands that you have listed should be a fine choice but I have one suggestion. Take an extra closed-cell foam cushion to use with your Buckshot. I use one (or two)with all of my stands and they make all the difference in the world. I'm 260 and 55 years old and can stay in stand all day with proper padding.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:04 PM

For me tree lounge, but summits are nice to.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mallard stalker

For me tree lounge, but summits are nice to.
Same here, but Tree Lounge does not reccomand it for people close to 300 pds, beause of the manuvers in getting into the seat!

Old 09-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm 6ft 5...250...I have 2-APIs...One is the Grand Slam Supreme...One is the Magnum...They are very comfortable...I can actually nap in them while hunting...

There are two advantages of an API over a Summit that I have found...
1) The APIs have a padded shooting rail that can adjusted up and down....Hunting over bean fields or cutovers or power lines, where shots can be longer, this is a huge advantage....It is almost like shooting from a bench...

2) The locking pins, that go through the chain can be removed and replaced with 4 long shank locks...For someone to steal it, they either have to cut the climbing chain, or the frame of the stand...I usually bring my stand out with me, but if I plan to hunt the same area the next morning, I can leave my stand in the tree...