Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry >

Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry

Old 11-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry

We have that program here in WV. I have been able to donate at least 1 deer, sometimes 2,each year for the past 4 seasons.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

If any of you haven't read the story on their web page I put it below. This is why this guy decided to found this organization. My local paper had this story in the article and it just about makes you want to cry. To me we need more organizations like this, because as Lanse couche couchepointed out earlier, there are too many hunters who get their antlers and throw their freezer burnt meat out.

I was driving down a Virginia highway in late September a few years ago to meet with some friends. We were planning to clear a little brush at the farm where we hunt and celebrate the landowner's birthday with a barbecue. About five miles before turning down the gravel farm lane I spotted a woman standing by her car with the trunk open. I was a little late and tempted not to stop. I'm glad I did.
From her dress and the appearance of her old car of many colors it was obvious she was not doing well. When I asked if her car was broken she said, "No could you please help me over here beside these bushes.’’ What was waiting for me over beside those bushes? Hesitantly, I followed until I spotted a fat but slightly battered 6 point buck beside those bushes. She slowly asked , "Could you please help me put it in my trunk?"

When I asked if she had hit it with her car she said, "No." Next I explained that unless she reported the deer to the State Police or a Wildlife Officer she could be issued a citation for transporting an untagged deer. She looked into my eyes and slowly answered, "I don't care...my kids and me are hungry." Too much talk and too little action...we loaded the deer into her trunk.

As she closed the lid of her trunk I asked one last question. "Would you like me to field dress it for you?" Her reply answered all, "No, since my husband left, me and my kids are gettin` good at it at home... and they don't bleed all over my trunk anymore." Standing there as she drove away I knew I had just looked into the eyes of Jesus.

Rick Wilson
Old 11-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

I don't want to bother anyone by doing this, but I wanted to bump this thread up the board to make sure people know about this. There was a question in another forum about this so I thought I would spread the word a little more.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 AM

Does anyone know if Missouri has a program like Iowa. I doubt it the MDC are a greedy bunch.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

my dad and i have already donated two deer to this program this year... it always feels good to help the needy
Old 11-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use it all the time here

since i do not know how to proccess a deer by myself, i give the bucks to HFTH. And the proccessor closes at 2:00 in the afternoon, so if its not cold enough to keep it hung overnight to take to the proccessor, i find someone else to give it to.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

the poor people around here eat better than I do, with their 400 a month food stamps
x2. the homeless population in the city where i work are homeless by choice. if you feel sorry for them and give them money to eat on, they will use it to buy alcohol to stay drunk. if you buy them food, they will curse you for not giving them money. i know some people are down on their luck and i have no problem helping them out but for the most of them i could care less. mcdonalds is always hiring if they need money. if they are too proud to flip a burger for money, they can starve for all i care. one reason the economy is in the shape it's in now is because peopletaking governmenthand outs and not putting in.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: D Rock

If any of you haven't read the story on their web page I put it below. This is why this guy decided to found this organization. My local paper had this story in the article and it just about makes you want to cry. To me we need more organizations like this, because as Lanse couche couchepointed out earlier, there are too many hunters who get their antlers and throw their freezer burnt meat out.

I was driving down a Virginia highway in late September a few years ago to meet with some friends. We were planning to clear a little brush at the farm where we hunt and celebrate the landowner's birthday with a barbecue. About five miles before turning down the gravel farm lane I spotted a woman standing by her car with the trunk open. I was a little late and tempted not to stop. I'm glad I did.
From her dress and the appearance of her old car of many colors it was obvious she was not doing well. When I asked if her car was broken she said, "No could you please help me over here beside these bushes.’’ What was waiting for me over beside those bushes? Hesitantly, I followed until I spotted a fat but slightly battered 6 point buck beside those bushes. She slowly asked , "Could you please help me put it in my trunk?"

When I asked if she had hit it with her car she said, "No." Next I explained that unless she reported the deer to the State Police or a Wildlife Officer she could be issued a citation for transporting an untagged deer. She looked into my eyes and slowly answered, "I don't care...my kids and me are hungry." Too much talk and too little action...we loaded the deer into her trunk.

As she closed the lid of her trunk I asked one last question. "Would you like me to field dress it for you?" Her reply answered all, "No, since my husband left, me and my kids are gettin` good at it at home... and they don't bleed all over my trunk anymore." Standing there as she drove away I knew I had just looked into the eyes of Jesus.

Rick Wilson
Thats awesome. I make it a point each year to donate atleast 1 if not more.