Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Took My 8 yr. old Hunting last night For the first time. >

Took My 8 yr. old Hunting last night For the first time.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Took My 8 yr. old Hunting last night For the first time.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 AM

Default Took My 8 yr. old Hunting last night For the first time.

Hello everyone, this is my first post. But I'm sure I will be around for awhile. Have just gotten back into hunting after a five year absents and last night I had a great time taking my (8 yr old) daughter out on her first hunt. To bad we didn't see a thing but just the two of us in the woods was great. And she wanted to know when she could go again. Question, At what age would you put a youngster in the woods with a bow? Right now she is pulling about 20 lbs. with a cheap compount. Not sure if she could pull #35 yet. THanks,

bt
Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Took My 8 yr. old Hunting last night For the first time.

My daughterwill turn 8 in about three weeksand has been shooting a bow for almost 4 years now, she started with one of those plastic long bows....I have really been thinking about that very question and I have come to the conclusion that she will need to pull around 40#'s and be very proficient with it before I will let her hunt with it...I guess ultimately when I feel she is mature enough and has proven herself to make responsible decisions, as well as be proficient with her bow. I think for each kid it will depend on how they develop and how much time you spend "showing them the way"...I am waiting on that day like you can't believe....
When she was 5 she asked me if she could go hunting with me, so I pulled out the rifle (knocked the dust off of it) and took her hunting. We saw a few deer and she was hooked, then after a couple years of her practicing with a rifle, she shot a long horn spike last year with a litlle help from dad.....We have continued to practice since that time and I feel comfortable that this year she will do well without dad's help on the riflethis year (don't get me wrong, I will be right there with her but she will be pulling the trigger)....It is great to get the kids involved and to spend time with them in the outdoors.....
Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTW....Welcome to the forums...There are a lot of great guys on here that have some serious knowledge!!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 AM

TBH,
Thanks for the reply. I am a little late getting her started but I"m glad I am. My 4 yr. son has been watching and wasn't happy he didn't get to go last night. I started with him last weekend with the bow. To bad here in IN we have no rifle hunting. It's either a shot gun, bow or Black powder. Just not sure if she could handle a 20 gage yet.

bt
Old 11-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum!

I too have young kids....in fact my daughter is 8 also. She goes with me too, but its merely training and having fun. My son is 10 (will be 11 this week)....he has actually killed deer the past 2 years already with a gun, but has been going with me since he was 5. He is fairly mature as a hunter for his age....much more than my daughter is at this point.

I think its really up to the maturity and skills of the individual. I have not let my son bowhunt yet...thatwill come next year. I feel he's ready now....and if his shooting proficiency is next year, I'll allow him to go. Another thing to check into...some states have laws as to minimum poundage allowed.

Good luck, have fun and hunt safe....
Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 PM

Nice to see folks taking there kids out. I have 2 a boy and a girl. Ages 8 and 10. Both are chomping on the bit for their turn to go out in the woods. My boy has been shooting a 22 for a couple of months and doing pretty well. Went w/ some friends to a hog hunt and took my son just for him to watch and be a part of it. Well, there more hogs than we expected and they all were pumping him up to take a shot. One of the guys let us borrow his .260. I can't explain how proud I was. He followed all the instructions and took his time. Sure enough he dropped an
80 pounder on the spot at about 100 yards. I was more excited than he was. I'm taking him to Ga this weekend as an observer. Makes getting old a little funner!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:19 AM

Thanks for all the input. I'm very excited, because her 4 yr. old brother throw a fit when I took and not him. I just got an old .22 that was my grandfathers gun. I think her and I need to head to the range very soon. psdpowder... congrats on the hog!!! I'm sure that will be a special day you will never forget.

bt
Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

BTW....Welcome to the forums...There are a lot of great guys on here that have some serious knowledge!!!!

and there are a-lot ofa$$ holes up here to but like he said welcome and why start her off with a bow when i was seven i started off (supervised of course) with a 4:10 with slugs single shot
Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 AM

I was thinking the .22 for building confidence and woking on shot placement with out the worry of any kick back. Then work her into somthing that she could hunt with. I think the 410 would be a great next step. What kind of knock down power would it have? Thanks

bt
Old 11-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you had a great time with your daughter. my dad first let me bow hunt when i could pull back 45# and was consistent in shooting the bullseye or the outter circle