Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Big time scare at the shop the other night >

Big time scare at the shop the other night

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Big time scare at the shop the other night

Old 04-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big time scare at the shop the other night

I've been shooting a long time and I have never had anything happen while shooting like what took place this past week. I was at the shop, just shooting three spot and BS'n with the owners. I draw back and when I released, POW, a sharp crack. I was kind of dumb founded at first. I looked at the bow, its OK, then I realized something hit me in the wrist. One of my nocks broke at the shot. The arrow was down range, sticking in the target about 3 low, sothe energy was transferred to the arrow. We checked the bow over closely and its OK. But man, I was a little gun shy for a couple shots.

Just a word of advise. Check those nocks! My incident could have been a lot worse.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Big time scare at the shop the other night

Had the same thing happen to me on the static line at the R100 a couple of months ago.

The arrow actually hit my bow hand drawing blood and yep i was a little gun shy on the first couple of targets.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:43 AM

Never saw that before.....What a deal.

Had a string break at full draw once.....Have a nice scar on my wrist now...Stuff like that will definetly make you a bit gun shy for a while.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:15 AM

I have had a bow explode on me at full draw. That SUCKS! I did't get injured though.

Paul
Old 04-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

jus the talk of this stuff happenin is gonna make me think twice next time before i draw!!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know, I've always been a stickler when it comes to making sure my equipement is in top shape. I'm just happy it wasn't worse. The arrow is junk as the string took a chip out of the end of the shaft. I actually have since pulled all of my nocks out and replaced most of them with new ones. These arrows are fairly old, probably in the neighborhood of 3 years with heavy shooting on them (gotta love Gold Tips).
Old 05-02-2007, 10:46 PM

A year or two ago, one arrow broke into three pieces right at release. The front of the arrow which was the largest part went towards the target but missed by a few feet. The other two pieces flew to the side almost hitting my dad who was standing beside me. Also my cable slide was missing (it had flew off too). I think the cable slide may have flown off and was what broke the arrow.(I just had a new slide put on at the pro shop.)
Old 05-03-2007, 04:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never had a nock break upon release but I have had one or two arrows explode...one was something that happened to the bow and the other was directly the result of something wrong with the arrow. Luckily, I was not injured in either case.

Nocks are something that I think should be replaced regularly especially if you shoot quite often. Not only is it a safety issue but it also has the potential to increase your accuracy level.....
Old 05-03-2007, 06:02 AM

Nock replacement due to age is always a good idea.

Shooting groups, however, can be a major factor in damaging nocks. It's fun to see that nice tight bunch of arrows in a target; but, any slight touch of a tip against a nock will not hurt the tip. The nock is plastic and plastics will age and get more brittle. Touch them with a tip at high speed and you've got a recipe for trouble.

Actually, the same facts apply to arrow shafts as well. Be careful, be safe, and good shooting.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:13 AM

I had 4 nocks break while making the homemade lumenocks,and that sound scared the crap out of me as well.

Quick Reply: Big time scare at the shop the other night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.