Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

45 CAL POWERBELT BULLET

Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
FG

Default RE: 45 CAL POWERBELT BULLET

Sadly, people try to push tiny Pure lead conicals at sub sonic speeds and a short range target.

What powerbelt we you using? See the link in my signature for some more help with powerbelts.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

45 barnes expander in 195g will solve your problems. Powerbelts shouldn't be used with over 60g pyrodex IMO, they are just constructed too poorly for modern bp rifle loads.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

ORIGINAL: LSUBOWHUNTER

I have been shooting a CVA .45cal muzzleloader for 3 years and have always used the Powerbelt bullets. I have killed 2 deer this year with it (one today) and neither was a pass thru even at less than 15 yards with absolutely no blood trail. I heard the deer crash this morning and that was the only way to track him. I need a new bullet. And I am shooting 150 gr of Jim Shockey's Gold. What bullet should I use in the .45cal?

If your .45 is shooting the Powerbelt good there is no need to change. Your using too much powder!! 150gr of any powder will explode that Powerbelt on contact. Seriously, Go down to the Blackpowder Forum and there is a bunch of guys that shoot Powderbelts with success, they are all gonna tell you your using too much powder. There is also a bunch of guys that do not like the Powerbelts. It's just personal preference. I use a solid copper bullet made by Barnes but that is by choice in my CVA 50cal.
a friend of mine shot a buck at 30-40 yards with a powerbelt this year and the powerbelt only had about 6 inches of penetration and fragmented into nothing. he was only pushing it with 100 grains of powder aswell. imo, if your gun is grouping well with hotter charges, change bullets not powder charges.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I love the powerbelts I have. 195 grain 45 caliber. I'm shooting 100 grains of powder.
Exactly! I shoot the same exact load out of my CVA .45 and it is a flat shootin fool! All of my deer that i've shot with it have dropped right in their tracks...in one side and out the other.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:49 PM

Wow there are as many for power belts as against them. I will try different bullets and loads and see what the results are. The power belts group really nice and always consistant, I just want blood trails or pass thrus.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LSUBOWHUNTER

The power belts group really nice and always consistant, I just want blood trails or pass thrus.
Every powerbelt I've ever shot grouped well. But when the bullet doesn't do the damage it should or leave any blood trail, accuracy doen't really matter IMO.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:34 PM
FG

If you want damage, use the Platinums.

LSU, when using a powerbelt, using less powder means you are going to get better bullet performance. This is a deer i took in 2007 with a .45cal 225gr powerbelt aerotip with 80gr triple 7 at a distance of 80 yards. The bullet did NOT exit but when the Powerbelt is slowed down and is allowed to slowly open up as it goes through the animals body, it leaves some BIG holes inside the critter and will leak blood out easily.

She only went 5 yards before kissing the ground,

Old 11-03-2008, 09:38 PM
FG

where bullet entered,

Opposite shoulder,

Blood trails also depend on how high up you had hit the deer. The higher the shot, obviously the longer it will take till blood starts to show up on the ground. I like low heart/lung shots.