Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about buck patterns

Old 11-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Question about buck patterns

I have just started to notice a few rubs here and there, but have not seen any bucks out cruising yet. I found a nice rub yesterday and put my trail camera on it. Should I hunt over the rub, or what? I was unsure if the bucks frequent their rubs this time of year.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 PM
nap

Default RE: Question about buck patterns

if you have a trailcam id set that up by first to see if they are coming there at all right know and if you don't. i would hunt that area but put your blind or tree stand at least 15 yards away. BTW invest in a trailcam. best investment i made. bought one from walmart for $100. works great. no need for a big $400 cuddyback.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM

if its a good sized tree a round few inchs or so depending where your at...then that means its a big bucks home area you could hunt there early seasonhopein to see him comein from food but in thephase two and three (sounds like your in one now)remberhe will be where the does are withn a mile raduies....
Old 11-03-2008, 04:36 AM

Well, I guess I will just leave the trail cam there for a few days. I saw several doe tracks and buck tracks crossing the road about 20 yards from the rub, so hopefully they stay close. The only problem I have seen is I cant find a very good tree to put the stand in. Hopefully the camera has good news for me when I check it. I am tired of chaising does and small bucks.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

we started using a trail cam last year, and we this year started to put Black tape over the flash becasue it seemed in out area that it would spook the deer ?? But and after taping the flash they continued to come back to that area. and we had it over a food plot. some of the small ones would come back and eat, but not the big ones, why !! we figured the flash was spooking them, could be wrong but something to consider if you only are getting 1 pic of the same deer, we tapped the flash with black electric tape and now we are getting more consistant pics hope this helps