Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

buck patterns

Old 09-12-2007, 10:17 PM

Default buck patterns

In the past I have always gotten my big buck trailcam pictures at night time unless the rut was on. Recently I hung some cameras and got a number of p&y bucks during daylight hours just stomping through the woods. In you guys opinions, will they still be so apt to walk through during the daytime come October?? The area I am hunting has a long highwall that runs several hundred yards back through the timber. Below the highwall there is a "shelf" that is 50yards at its widest spot, then the mountain dumps off into a hollow. Unless they wanna go up and down the side of the mountain, they have to use this path. Even with the odds, I still never expected so many good bucks, much less during daylight hours.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:15 PM

Default RE: buck patterns

noone wanna try to takle this one???? I really am getting great bucks on film and I dont know whether to hunt here opening day or wait till rut.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

If there was a good spot for a stand--and the wind was right--hunt it!! The bucks are less spooky at the first of bow season and during the rut!!
Old 09-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would be there first chance I got. Deer get up and move around every couple of hours or so. They don't just lay there all day until night comes. Sounds like you spot is a classic funnel and saddle combo.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definetly put some time in the area. But don't be surprised if they don't show. I had a pile of photos last year and only saw a couple bucks during the season. They changed their patterns around August and I could not find them...This year I have very few photos of bucks, maybe they will show up later...