Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opening Day of Muzzleloader!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opening Day of Muzzleloader!

the rut is definately in!

Nov. 1 me and my dad went out for B/P and had some great luck. We were late getting to the stand (right at daybreak) because my dad was working night shift and got off late. But anyways, I got to the edge of the feild where it meets the woods and saw a set of eyes. I said to myself, crap now what do i do. I decided to wait until it either ran away or until daylight so i could get a shot. After waiting about 5 mins, I turned my light back on and the eyes were gone so I decided to go to the stand. I pulled up my TC Omega .50 cal and was about to put my harness on when I hear the crunching of leafs. I look up and see antlers and decide in a split second that I was going to shoot it.Once he was on top of thedoe urine i poured out right at thefence line,I put the crosshairs right behind the shoulder and shot. Couldnt see anything cause of the smoke but once it cleared i saw him run under my stand and go behind me. I waited about an hour and went to track him. We found him and it wasa 3pt. buck. I then realized that it was the same deer that I had nicknamed "forky" on the opening day of bow season. I am now really regreting shooting him because I wanted to let him grow for next year. But thats ok i am happy i got him.

That same morning my dad killed a 8pt. buck chasing two does. I am really happy for him as it is the biggest buck he's ever killed.

Then that evening we went back out. Me and my dad had swapped stands. He hunted the woods and I hunted the feild. It was fairly warm so I knew that the deer wouldnt be moving till late. It was 6:00 and i scanned the feild to find a doe taking a leak. Because of the EAB "Earn A Buck" i now have to kill a antlerless deer in order for me to kill another buck. So i get my TC Omega ready and get the crosshairs behind the shoulder and shoot. She drops. I wait i little bit and get out of the stand to drag her to the truck and gut her. Once i get to the deer i realize its not a doe and its a button buck. This is now the second button buck me and my dad have taken off the same property.

I am pretty mad right now. I killed two deer yesterday that i didnt even want to kill. I am worried that we wont have very many bucks to see next year. I almost feel like it was a waste of my tags. But they should be good eatin.

When i get back to my house i will post the pics. I left the camera at the house. I promise i will post pics.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opening Day of Muzzleloader!

Don't worry, there's plenty where they came from.