Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Opening day

Old 09-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Opening day

today is opening day of dove season for the central part of Texas, and I have no where to hunt.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Opening day

I'm sorry man, that sucks. It's opening day in KS as well and I'm heading out in about 20 minutes for an evening hunt. We have an excellent walk-in program to allow people to hunt private land (that has been opened to the public) who don't own any. Hopefully TX will get something like that some day
Old 09-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Here's a summary of my public land dovehunt in Kansas today. I drove about 100 miles....
Old 09-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Today was opening day of dove season Sept. 1 2007. We had a great day of hunting and fellowship.
It started at 12pm with a BB-Q lunch and followed with everyone out in the field at 2:00. At 4:30PM everyone had a limit of doves and the field was closed.
After the hunt everyone sat around and talked about the day and memories from the past. We enjoyed some cool beverages and grilled some fresh doves.
The hunt was wonderfull and the fellowship with friends was splendid. Allowing the birds to come in and feed means we can do it all over again next Saturday.
Monday we will hunt a different field and I'll be taking the camera.
I had to hunt opening day as a tradition. The 410 SxS proved itself with a limit of doves in 22 shots.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think everybody on our field in VA killed a limit. There were a couple folks who lost a bird or two and left the field with 10... but for 20 guns... just about everybody limited out. Wasn't a barnburner, but I've had much worse hunts.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Today was opening day for early goose season and dove season in IL. I could not get one of the blinds for geese so I put my name in a drawing for a place in the dove field. Of course you know, after waiting around for two hours I was not picked. So, I'm driving home and I saw a really inferior dove field. The DNR guy said he could fit me in so I managed to get out in the field. On this, my third try, I got nine doves (It only took three boxes of shells). The third try is the charmer! Always carry a little bird shot, just in case.