Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opening Day Doe

Old 10-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Opening Day Doe

Tought I would share my opoening day story of success. We have a legal crossbow season in Ontario and also have an additional tag system whihc only allowed me an antlerless deer in my specific area.

Was happy to fill it opening afternoon. The morning was filled with fun when I rattled in 4 bucks. A button, 4, 6 and small basket 8 point. All too small to use my other tag wich can be used for bucks anywhere in the province. I have the rifle hunt 1st week of Nov so the buck has to be big to get filled early I had turkeys, a red fox, a redtail hawk, and an owl entertain me until 7pm when I finally decided a couple soift contact calls was in order (hunt ended at 7:25pm). Literally 5 mins and i had her slipping along the edge of the corn walking right under my stand. 10 yd shot and she crashed into the bush, rand a few yds and did the side step, 10 more yds and she dropped and within 20 seconds the wind came out of her.

Here she is. Nice big doe that has already provided a very tatsy BBQ'd loin meal.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:22 AM

Default RE: Opening Day Doe

Thats a nice big doe there Steve! Looks like you will have plenty of BBQ with her! I see you did it with a CB also, What kind is it? There is a nice CB forum under the archery forums and we all have a good time in there, come check it out. Again, nice deer!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:11 AM

nice doe.....very good eating....good luck with the buck tag
Old 10-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is one big doe. Holy crap!! Congrats.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks. I never noticed the crossbow forum. I posted it under deer because of course we all know that a crossbow is NOT bowhunting

The crossbow is an old Cobra crossbow. Don't make 'em anymore. It weighs a ton but hey, that's what the sling is for . As long as I can lug it up the stand it now has a 3 for 3 record in the 2 years I have had it.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats great work, did you put your name into the heaviest doe contest. She'd probably be a contender.
As for x-bows not being archery, thats crap, I'm more confident with my compound than my x-bow past 25yrds, and if you check the rules for the annual archery team contest x-bows are allowed.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

No crossbow debate! I was just joking on that tired old debate which happens.

Cheers!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

OntElk...good kill..good eats...good life