Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 some questions from a second season hunter >

some questions from a second season hunter

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

some questions from a second season hunter

Old 11-02-2008, 05:19 PM

Default some questions from a second season hunter

hello, i have some questions that i'd like to get some experienced answers for. this is my second season hunting, and tonight i got lucky, sort of. 3 doe came out of the trail close to me, and i took the shot on one. i heard it hit, almost like it hit wood, or maybe a bone, and she jumped up and then took off running for about 20 yards. she then stood there, then seemed to slowly walk away. (note she was in tall grass so i couldnt really see the arrow) i'm thinking maybe gut shot? because after i heard water splashing as if she went into it. i couldnt find my arrow in the ground where it hit. i waited about a half hour for the other deer to clear out so i wouldn't spook them, and then got down. at this point it was getting dark and i looked for blood till it was so dark i really couldn't see. at this point i gave up, mad at myself for letting one go, although i do plan on going back tomorrow to track.

my questions are, weather dependent, how good is the meat going to be after about 14 hours? depending on when she died? and after i took the shot, one deer took off running with her, and the other one just kept eating, so, will the unwounded ones come back to that trail? and how soon? i didn't spook either of them myself. sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance for all the replies!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: some questions from a second season hunter

16-As for as the deer , it depends on what kind of weather you have is it warm say in the 70's or is it cool say 40's during the day and whats the temp. during the night .And as for as the sound you just told me it sounds like you might have hit bone , i know she was in tall grass but could you tell at all if she was limping a little .Any way good luck finding your deer .
Old 11-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

I always here people say....never give up on a blood trail. Yeah you may have hit bone and like arrow said it depends on the temp. Check the overnight weather. I had a similar situation. A gut shot where I did not hit vitals. However the deer took off back in the direction it came from heading back up to its bedding area. She went about 300 yards and laid down. It took another arrow. Anyway, I didn't find REALLY good blood until about 200 yards away. I found her trail first and then followed that. Anyway, keep that in mind when you go look again. Good luck!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

If the weather permits the deer should be good till morning. If u heard the deer go into the water, that would be the first place to look. Many deer when shot will head to water to help with the pain. I my self have killed many that have ended up by or in the water. Also deer will come back to a trail. I shot at some does on a gas line one day, i missed but about 30 mins later they came back to the gasline.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

yes, they will come back. But get out tomorrow and look for your deer. check the water, and look in the water, she could have died in there. If you dont see anything start a grid seach. Meaning walk "laps" back and forth depending on how thick the woods is. that way you can check every inch. Look for odd shapes on the ground. Brown that is out of place or white. That is about all you can do. Good luck and let us know if you find her!
-Jake
Old 11-03-2008, 04:48 AM

ok. thanks guys. i'm definentely going to go out and look for the deer. i would at least like to find it even if the meat isn't any good and move it somewhere off the main trail and let the coyotes have it. i'll get pics if i find it too. i'm going to sit in my other stands for a while and maybe let it cool off back there. im hoping to find her. i'm thinking maybe it even hit the rib cage and thats what i heard but she may have jumped the arrow and i hit her in the leg. guess i will have to find out. thanks all.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

good luck. hope you find her
Old 11-03-2008, 04:39 PM

ok. well, no, i didn't find her. sorry guys. but i did find my arrow, and it looks like its covered in lard. a total pass through. so maybe a really low hit? theres some white hair on it as well. i'm thinkin since the arrow hit so low, she may have survived, which is good. i looked as far as possible and as long as possible, but nothing. couldnt even find a blood trail starting anywhere around the arrow. so, mystery half solved. but now that rut is going into effect i'll only be shooting for buck. thanks for all the help guys.